BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the German Huffman family come from? What is the German Huffman family crest and coat of arms? When did the Huffman family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Huffman family history?The German state of Silesia is the glorious birthplace of the distinguished surname Huffman. This name is derived from the German word "hof" meaning "settlement" or "farm" and "mann" meaning "man." The name may have originally been born by someone who owned their land as opposed to working someone else's land, or perhaps by the manager, or steward of such an estate.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Hoffmann, Hofmann, Hoffman, Hofman, Hoeffmann, Hoefmann, Hoeffman, Hoefman, Hofemann, Hofeman, Hovemann, Hoveman and many more.
First found in Silesia, where the family became noted for its many branches within the region. Ancient chronicles first mention Otten Buzwoys Hoveman of Liegnitz, Silesia (1383,) Hans Kosche Hoffman of Liegnitz (1558,) and Nickel Hofeman the belt-maker of Goerlitz (1425).
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Huffman research. Another 745 words(53 lines of text) covering the years 1712, 1540, 1627, 1778, 1845, 1827, 1803, 1789, 1616, 1679, 1640, 1692, 1653, 1719, 1683, 1750, 1685, 1715, 1669 and 1716 are included under the topic Early Huffman History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 155 words(11 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Huffman Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Huffman Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- John Huffman, who landed in Virginia in 1729
- Katherine Huffman, who arrived in Virginia in 1729
Huffman Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Henry Huffman, who arrived in Maryland in 1803
- David Huffman, who arrived in Texas in 1835
- Charles Huffman, who arrived in Washington County, Pennsylvania in 1856
- Frank P Huffman, who landed in DeWitt County, Illinois in 1862
- Peter Huffman, aged 39, landed in Missouri in 1864
Huffman Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- Annie Huffman, aged 25, who emigrated to the United States, in 1900
- N. H. Huffman, who landed in America, in 1903
- Oscar Huffman, aged 32, who emigrated to the United States, in 1909
- Edmund Huffman, aged 60, who landed in America from Clomnet, England, in 1909
- Evelyn Huffman, aged 17, who emigrated to the United States, in 1910
- Barbara Huffman (b. 1934), original name of Barbara Eden, American film and television actress and singer, best known for her role in I Dream of Jeannie
- David Albert Huffman (1925-1999), American creator of Huffman coding, a lossless data compression
- Felicity Kendall Huffman (b. 1962), American Golden Globe and Academy Award-nominated actress
- Catherine Elizabeth “Cady” Huffman (b. 1965), Tony Award-winning American actress
- David Lambert Huffman (1957-1998), American college and NFL football player
- David Huffman (1945-1985), American character actor who was murdered by a thief in San Diego, California
- George P. Huffman (1862-1897), American businessman, founder of the Huffman Manufacturing Company, later called Huffy Manufacturing
- James Wylie Huffman (1894-1980), American politician, Democratic Party politician from Ohio
- Nathaniel "Nate" Thomas Huffman (b. 1975), American former NBA professional basketball player
- John William Huffman (b. 1932), American professor emeritus of organic chemistry at Clemson University
- Stuckey-Huffman Cousins by Opal L. Streiff.
- Bahlow, Hans and Edda Gentry. Translation Dictionary of German Names 2nd Edition. Madison: University of Wisconsin, 2002. Print.
- Neubecker, Ottfried. Wappen-Bilder-Lexikon der bürgerlichen Geschlechter Deutschlands, Oesterreichs und der Schweiz. Battenberg, München: 1985. Print.
- Oswald, G. Lexicon der Heraldik. Leipzig: 1984. Print.
- Fogleman, Aaron Spencer. Journeys German Immigration, Settlement and Political Culture in Colonial America 1717-1775. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1986. Print. (ISBN 978-0812215489).
- Siebmacher, J.J. Siebmacher's Grosses Wappenbuch 35 Volumes. Germany: Bauer & Raspe. Print.
- Gritzner, M. Handbuch der heraldischen Terminologie in zwölf Zungen. Nürnberg: 1890. Print.
- Siebmacher, J.J. Siebmachers Wappenbuch. München, Battenberg: 1975. Print.
- Bentley, Elizabeth P. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of New York 1820-1829. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999. Print.
- Rietstap, Johannes Baptist. Armorial Général. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Tobler-Meyer, Wilhelm. Familiennamen der Ostschweiz. Zürich: 1894. Print.
The Huffman Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Huffman Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 13 June 2014 at 20:54.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is