100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2013
Where did the English Hopkinson family come from? What is the English Hopkinson family crest and coat of arms? When did the Hopkinson family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Hopkinson family history?Hopkinson is an ancient Anglo-Saxon surname that came from the name Hobb, a pet form of the personal name Robert. This name was supplemented by the common diminutive suffix -kin and the patronymic suffix -son, which superseded all other English patronymic suffixes during the 14th century.
The English language only became standardized in the last few centuries; therefore, spelling variations are common among early Anglo-Saxon names. As the form of the English language changed, even the spelling of literate people's names evolved. Hopkinson has been recorded under many different variations, including Hopkinson, Hobkinson and others.
First found in Cheshire where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hopkinson research. Another 157 words(11 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Hopkinson History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 45 words(3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Hopkinson Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
For many English families, the political and religious disarray that shrouded England made the far away New World an attractive prospect. On cramped disease-ridden ships, thousands migrated to those British colonies that would eventually become Canada and the United States. Those hardy settlers that survived the journey often went on to make important contributions to the emerging nations in which they landed. Analysis of immigration records indicates that some of the first North American immigrants bore the name Hopkinson or a variant listed above:
Hopkinson Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Daniel Hopkinson, who arrived in Virginia in 1634
- Daniel Hopkinson settled in Virginia in 1637 with his wife Michele
- Michael Hopkinson, who landed in Boston, Massachusetts in 1640
- Jonathan Hopkinson, who arrived in Maryland in 1666
Hopkinson Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Thomas Hopkinson, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1773
Hopkinson Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Charles and Joseph Hopkinson arrived in Philadelphia in 1853
- John Hopkinson, who landed in Mississippi in 1889
- Charles Sydney Hopkinson (1869-1962), American portrait painter and landscape watercolorist
- Charles Hopkinson Ph.D., American Senior Scientist at The Marine Biological Laboratory at Woods Hole
- Frances Hopkinson (1737-1791), American signer of Declaration of Independence
- John Hopkinson (1849-1898), English engineer and physicist
- Shirley Hopkinson, Professor of Librarianship
- Henry Hopkinson, British Journalist
- Alan C Hopkinson Ph.D., Canadian Professor of Chemistry at York University
- Shirley, Evelyn Philip. Noble and Gentle Men of England Or Notes Touching The Arms and Descendants of the Ancient Knightley and Gentle Houses of England Arranged in their Respective Counties 3rd Edition. Westminster: John Bowyer Nichols and Sons, 1866. Print.
- Holt, J.C. Ed. Domesday Studies. Woodbridge: Boydell, 1987. Print. (ISBN 0-85115-477-8).
- Marcharn, Frederick George. A Constitutional History of Modern England 1485 to the Present. London: Harper and Brothers, 1960. Print.
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Mills, A.D. Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4).
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Bardsley, C.W. A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry: Including American Families with British Ancestry. (2 Volumes). London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
The Hopkinson Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Hopkinson Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 23 March 2013 at 11:50.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!