BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Origins Available: English, German
Where did the German Hope family come from? What is the German Hope family crest and coat of arms? When did the Hope family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Hope family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Hoop, Hoogh, Hooper, Hoopen, Hoopern, Hooperbusch, Hoopermann, Hop, Hope, Hopfer, Hood, Hooden and many more.
First found in Bavaria, where the name was anciently associated with the tribal conflicts of the area. They declared allegiances to many nobles and princes of early history, lending their influence in struggles for power and status within the region. They branched into many houses, and their contributions were sought by many leaders in their search for power.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hope research. Another 160 words(11 lines of text) covering the years 1789 and 1855 are included under the topic Early Hope History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Hope Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Hope Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Thomas Hope who settled in Virginia in 1607
- Thomas Hope, who arrived in Jamestown, Va in 1607
- Abraham Hope, who landed in Maryland in 1651
- Abraham Hope, who arrived in Maryland in 1651
- William Hope, who landed in Maryland in 1660
Hope Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- John Misbell Hope, who arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1773
- Georg Hope, who arrived in America in 1778
Hope Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- David Hope, aged 45, landed in New York in 1812
- Robert Hope, aged 51, arrived in New York in 1812
- Matthew Hope, who arrived in New York, NY in 1823
- James Hope, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1839
- James, John, Michael, Patrick, Samuel, Thomas, and William Hope, all arrived in Philadelphia between 1800 and 1870
- Leslie Townes "Bob" Hope KBE, KCSG (1903-2003), English-born, American entertainer who appeared in vaudeville, on Broadway, on radio and television, in movies, and in performing tours for U.S. Military, the "first and only honorary veteran of the U.S. armed forces"
- Dave Hope (b. 1949), American bass guitarist, best known for his work the American progressive rock band Kansas
- Dolores Hope (1909-2011), American singer, entertainer, philanthropist, wife of the actor and comedian Bob Hope
- Daniel Hope, British violinist who won Germany's most prestigious recording award, the Echo-Prize, in 2004, 2005, and 2006
- Margaret Hope, highly acclaimed Canadian professional public speaker, speech coach, and author
- Alec Derwent "A.D." Hope (1907-2000), Australian poet and essayist from Cooma, New South Wales
- Adam Hope (1813-1882), Canadian businessman and Liberal senator to the Canadian Senate (1877 to 1882)
- Charles Hope (1763-1851), Scottish politician and judge, Lord Justice General
- James Arthur David Hope KT, PC, FRSE (b. 1938), Baron Hope of Craighead, Scottish judge and Deputy President of the Supreme Court of the United Kingdom
- David Michael Hope KCVO PC (1940-1995), Baron Hope of Thornes, Archbishop of York from 1995 to 2005
- The Marlett Family in Southeast, Midwest, and Southwest United States, With Connections to the Ball, Humphries, Hope, and Cross Families by Nadeen Cross Marlett.
- More...,A Supplement in Two Parts to Receipt for an Inheritance by Margery Day Hanson.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Garland, Mary and Henry Garland Editions. Oxford Companion To German Literature 3rd Edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1997. Print. (ISBN 0198158963).
- Bahlow, Hans (Edda Gentry trns). Dictionary of German Names . Madison, Wisconsin: Max Kade Institute, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-924119-35-7).
- Kapff, Rudolf. Schwäbische Geschlechtsnamen. Stuttgart: Verlag Silberburg, 1927. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Preuss, Otto. Die Lippischen Familiennamen mit Berücksichtigung der Ortsnamen. Detmold: Meyer'sche Hofbuchh, 1887. Print.
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Illustrations to the Armorial general by J. B. Rietstap 6 volumes in 3. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1976. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans. Deutschlands geographische Namenwelt Etymologisches Lexikon der Fluss- und Ortsnamen alteuropaischer Herkunft. Frankfurt: Suhrkamp, 1985. Print.
- Neubecker, Ottfried. Wappen-Bilder-Lexikon der bürgerlichen Geschlechter Deutschlands, Oesterreichs und der Schweiz. Battenberg, München: 1985. Print.
- Jones, Henry Z. Palatine Families of New York 2 Volumes. Rockland, ME: Picton Press, 2001. Print. (ISBN 978-0961388829).
The Hope Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Hope Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 16 March 2010 at 07:30.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is