100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the English Higgs family come from? What is the English Higgs family crest and coat of arms? When did the Higgs family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Higgs family history?The ancient Anglo-Saxon surname Higgs came from Richard which had several diminutive forms in the Middle Ages, including Dick, Rick, Hick, and Hegge. The name was introduced into England by the Normans after the Norman Conquest of 1066.
Sound was what guided spelling in the essentially pre-literate Middle Ages, so one person's name was often recorded under several variations during a single lifetime. Also, before the advent of the printing press and the first dictionaries, the English language was not standardized. Therefore, spelling variations were common, even among the names of the most literate people. Known variations of the Higgs family name include Higgs, Higges, Higg, Higge and others.
First found in Gloucestershire where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Higgs research. Another 137 words(10 lines of text) covering the years 1589, 1659 and 1638 are included under the topic Early Higgs History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 27 words(2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Higgs Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
For political, religious, and economic reasons, thousands of English families boarded ships for Ireland, the Canadas, the America colonies, and many of smaller tropical colonies in the hope of finding better lives abroad. Although the passage on the cramped, dank ships caused many to arrive in the New World diseased and starving, those families that survived the trip often went on to make valuable contributions to those new societies to which they arrived. Early immigrants bearing the Higgs surname or a spelling variation of the name include:
Higgs Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- John and Rachel Higgs settled in Virginia in 1654
- Thomas and Anne Higgs settled in Nevis in 1663
- Henry Higgs, who arrived in Maryland in 1668
- John Higgs, who arrived in Boston, Massachusetts in 1693
- Frans Higgs, who landed in Virginia in 1699
Higgs Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Elizabeth Higgs settled in Charles Town in 1718
- William Higgs settled in New England in 1769
- Robert Higgs (b. 1944), American economic historian and economist
- Peter Ware Higgs FRS, FRSE, FKC (b. 1929), English theoretical physicist, emeritus professor at the University of Edinburgh and co-winner of the 2004 Wolf Prize in Physics, eponym of the Higgs mechanism and the Higgs boson, recipient of the Nobel Prize in Physics in 2013
- Sir Derek Alan Higgs (1944-2008), English businessman and merchant banker
- Eric Sidney Higgs (1908-1976), English archaeologist
- Kenneth "Ken" Higgs (b. 1937), English fast-medium bowler
- Shane Peter Higgs (b. 1977), English footballer
- Rt. Rev. Hubert Higgs, Bishop of Hull
- Joseph Benjamin "Joe" Higgs (1940-1999), Jamaican reggae musician
- Rebekah Higgs (b. 1982), Canadian indie rock singer
- Ray Higgs, retired Australian rugby league footballer
- The Higgs Family: Maryland to Missouri by Betty Higgs Bridges.
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- Shirley, Evelyn Philip. Noble and Gentle Men of England Or Notes Touching The Arms and Descendants of the Ancient Knightley and Gentle Houses of England Arranged in their Respective Counties 3rd Edition. Westminster: John Bowyer Nichols and Sons, 1866. Print.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Markale, J. Celtic Civilization. London: Gordon & Cremonesi, 1976. Print.
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Mills, A.D. Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4).
The Higgs Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Higgs Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 2 June 2014 at 09:53.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!