BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Origins Available: German, Jewish
Where did the Jewish Hess family come from? What is the Jewish Hess family crest and coat of arms? When did the Hess family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Hess family history?
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
- Caspar Hess, a German mercenary, who remained in America after the Revolution
Hess Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Catharine Hess, who is on record in New York city in 1709
- Joseph Hess, who landed in New York in 1709
- Wilhelm Hess, who landed in New York in 1709
- Johannes Hess, who landed in New York, NY in 1710
- Henrich Hess, who arrived in America in 1724
Hess Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- John Fred Hess, aged 14, landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1807
- Georg Hess, who landed in America in 1831
- Gottlieb Jacob Hess, aged 57, landed in Missouri in 1838
- John Gottlieb Hess, aged 28, arrived in Missouri in 1838
- Hartman Hess, aged 24, arrived in Missouri in 1840
Hess Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- Magdalena Hess, aged 26, arrived in New York, NY in 1928
- Victor Francis Hess (1883-1964), American physicist, who shared the Nobel prize in 1936
- Dean Hess (b. 1917), American Air Force Colonel
- Harry Hess (1906-1969), American geologist
- Orvan Hess (1906-2002), American doctor who invented the fetal heart monitor
- Brigadier-General Walter Wood Jr. Hess (1892-1972), American Commandant of Camp Carson (1950-1952)
- Max Hess, American Olympic gold medalist for gymnastics at the 1904 Summer Games
- Moses Hess (1812-1875), German socialist and theorist
- Walter Rudolf Hess (1881-1973), Swiss physiologist, who shared the 1949 Nobel Prize in Medicine
- Erika Hess (b. 1962), Swiss alpine skier
- Germain Henri Hess (1802-1850), Russian-Swiss chemist
- family History of Inter-Married Branches of the Families of Brown, Doane, Hess, Peck, Wintermute by Maurice E. Peck.
- Descendants of John Hess 1809-1888: A Hess Genealogy Through Pioneer Hans Hess by James H. Hess.
- Holt, J.C. Ed. Domesday Studies. Woodbridge: Boydell, 1987. Print. (ISBN 0-85115-477-8).
- Dunkling, Leslie. Dictionary of Surnames. Toronto: Collins, 1998. Print. (ISBN 0004720598).
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Marcharn, Frederick George. A Constitutional History of Modern England 1485 to the Present. London: Harper and Brothers, 1960. Print.
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- Humble, Richard. The Fall of Saxon England. New York: Barnes and Noble, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-88029-987-8).
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds. Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
The Hess Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Hess Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 23 April 2014 at 11:13.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is