BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the German Herzog family come from? What is the German Herzog family crest and coat of arms? When did the Herzog family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Herzog family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Herzog, Herzig, Hertzog, Hercog, Hartzog, Gertzog, Hartog, Hartoch, Hertogs, Hertogson and many more.
First found in Bavaria, where the name was anciently associated with the tribal conflicts of the area. They declared allegiances to many nobles and princes of early history, lending their influence in struggles for power and status within the region. They branched into many houses, and their contributions were sought by many leaders in their search for power.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Herzog research. Another 173 words(12 lines of text) covering the year 1670 is included under the topic Early Herzog History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Herzog Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Herzog Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Margaretha Herzog, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1735
- Jacob Herzog, who landed in Carolina in 1738
- Anna Herzog, who came to Carolina in 1738
- Anna Herzog, who arrived in Carolina in 1738
- Andreas Herzog, who came to Philadelphia in 1750
Herzog Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Frederick Herzog, who landed in Ohio in 1824
- Caroline Herzog, who landed in Texas in 1846
- Peter Herzog, who landed in North America in 1846
- Joh Herzog, who arrived in Texas in 1846
- Henry Herzog, aged 24, arrived in Missouri in 1847
- Jacques Herzog (b. 1950), Swiss architect awarded the 1999 Rolf Schock Prize in Visual Arts
- Arthur Herzog Jr. (1900-1983), American songwriter most known for his work with Billie Holiday
- Werner Herzog (b. 1942), award winning German film producer, director, and writer
- Roman Herzog (b. 1934), President of Germany from 1994 to 1999
- Walter Herzog (b. 1955), Canadian Co-Director, Human Performance Laboratory at the University of Calgary
- Fred Herzog (b. 1933), Canadian award winning photographer
- Fogleman, Aaron Spencer. Hopeful Journeys German Immigration, Settlement, and Political Culture in Colonial America 1717-1775. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1986. Print. (ISBN 978-0812215489).
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Götze, Alfred. Familiennamen im badischen Oberland. Heidelberg: C. Winter, 1918. Print.
- Strassburger, Ralph B. Pennsylvania German Pioneers The Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of Philadelphia 3 Volumes. Baltimore: Picton Press, 1992. Print. (ISBN 978-0929539980).
- Tarneller, Josef. Zur Namenkunde Tirolen Familiennamen. Bozen: Buchhandlung, 1923. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Rietstap, Johannes Baptist. Armorial Général. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
The Herzog Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Herzog Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 4 May 2014 at 20:15.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is