100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the English Herndon family come from? What is the English Herndon family crest and coat of arms? When did the Herndon family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Herndon family history?The Anglo-Saxon name Herndon comes from the family having resided in the village of Harrowden in the counties of Northampton and Bedford.
Herndon has been spelled many different ways, including Before English spelling became standardized over the last few hundred years, spelling variations in names were a common occurrence. As the English language changed in the Middle Ages, absorbing pieces of Latin and French, as well as other languages, the spelling of people's names also changed considerably, even over a single lifetime. Harraden, Harradine, Haridine, Harridine, Horoden, Harnden, Herndon and many more.
First found in Bedfordshire (Old English: Bedanfordscir), located in Southeast-central England, formerly part of the Anglo-Saxon kingdom of Mercia, where they held a family seat from ancient times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Herndon research. Another 244 words(17 lines of text) covering the years 1086 and 1756 are included under the topic Early Herndon History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 21 words(2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Herndon Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
In an attempt to escape the chaos experienced in England, many English families boarded overcrowded and diseased ships sailing for the shores of North America and other British colonies. Those families hardy enough, and lucky enough, to make the passage intact were rewarded with land and a social environment less prone to religious and political persecution. Many of these families became important contributors to the young colonies in which they settled. Early immigration and passenger lists have documented some of the first Herndons to arrive on North American shores:
Herndon Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- William Herndon, who landed in Virginia in 1673-1674
Herndon Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- William L Herndon, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1850
- Mrs. Herndon, aged 50, who emigrated to the United States, in 1896
- Parker Herndon, aged 22, who settled in America, in 1896
- Cumb. G. Herndon, aged 46, who settled in America from Liverpool, in 1897
Herndon Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- Richard T. Herndon, aged 19, who landed in America, in 1909
- Hunter Herndon, aged 8, who emigrated to the United States, in 1909
- Maude Herndon, aged 25, who landed in America, in 1910
- Robert Joseph Herndon, aged 52, who emigrated to the United States, in 1910
- Edward L. Herndon, aged 47, who emigrated to the United States, in 1911
- Claud Judd Herndon, American artist and designer
- Judith Herndon, prominent American lawyer
- James Herndon (b. 1952), American media psychologist
- Ty Herndon (b. 1962), American country music singer
- William Herndon (1818-1891), American law partner to Abraham Lincoln and after his assasination his biographer, Mayor of Springfield, Illinois
- William Lewis Herndon (1813-1857), U.S. Navy, scientist, explorer of the Amazon, best known for his report Exploration of the Valley of the Amazon (1854)
- Alonzo Franklin Herndon (1858-1927), African-American businessman, founder and president of the Atlanta Family Life Insurance Company
- Charles "Chuck" Herndon, American sculptor
- J. Marvin Herndon (b. 1944), American interdisciplinary scientist who founded the georeactor theory
- Kelly Errin Herndon (b. 1976), American NFL football cornerback
- Collection of Facts and Recollections of the Descent Lines and the Relationships Among Some Descendants of-William Herndon of England and New Kent County, Virginia by Grace Yager Froom.
- The Herndon and Inge Family: Genealogical, Historical, Biographical by George B. Inge.
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Shirley, Evelyn Philip. Noble and Gentle Men of England Or Notes Touching The Arms and Descendants of the Ancient Knightley and Gentle Houses of England Arranged in their Respective Counties 3rd Edition. Westminster: John Bowyer Nichols and Sons, 1866. Print.
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry: Including American Families with British Ancestry. (2 Volumes). London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Lennard, Reginald. Rural England 1086-1135 A Study of Social and Agrarian Conditions. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1959. Print.
- Markale, J. Celtic Civilization. London: Gordon & Cremonesi, 1976. Print.
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
The Herndon Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Herndon Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 23 August 2014 at 15:03.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!