100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2013
Where did the English Hensley family come from? What is the English Hensley family crest and coat of arms? When did the Hensley family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Hensley family history?
The English language only became standardized in the last few centuries; therefore, spelling variations are common among early Anglo-Saxon names. As the form of the English language changed, even the spelling of literate people's names evolved. Hensley has been recorded under many different variations, including Hensley, Hensleigh, Henslie, Henslea, Ensley, Ensleigh, Ensly and many more.
First found in Devon where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the 13th century when they held a family seat at Furse in that shire.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hensley research. Another 245 words(18 lines of text) covering the years 1455, 1487, 1510, and 1600 are included under the topic Early Hensley History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Hensley Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
For many English families, the political and religious disarray that shrouded England made the far away New World an attractive prospect. On cramped disease-ridden ships, thousands migrated to those British colonies that would eventually become Canada and the United States. Those hardy settlers that survived the journey often went on to make important contributions to the emerging nations in which they landed. Analysis of immigration records indicates that some of the first North American immigrants bore the name Hensley or a variant listed above:
Hensley Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Jone Hensley who arrived in Virginia in 1702
- Jone Hensley, who landed in Virginia in 1702
- William Hensley who settled in Jamaica in 1774
Hensley Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Samuel J Hensley, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1850
- Thomas Hensley, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1851
- Joseph Louis Hensley (1926-2007), American lawyer, prosecuting attorney, member of the Indiana General Assembly, and circuit court judge
- William L Hensley (b. 1941), American government official and state legislator
- Kelley Menighan Hensley (b. 1967), American television actress
- Pamela Hensley (b. 1950), American actress
- John Carter Hensley (b. 1977), American actor
- Kenneth William David Hensley (b. 1945), English keyboard player, guitarist, singer, songwriter, and producer best known for his work with Uriah Heep during the 1970s
- Gerald Christopher Hensley (b. 1936), Former New Zealand diplomat and public servant
- The Hensleigh (also Hensley) Family of Wembury: Thirty-Nine Generation, A Thousand Year History and Genealogy Follows the Family From France to Cornwall and Devonshire in England, and On to America and New Zealand by Edith Pease.
- Hensley Family Records, and Allied Families of Other Spellings, Like Henley, Henlee, Hendly, etc., Revolutionary Period, War 1812, and Indian Wars. also Indian Land Chains by Annie Walker Burns.
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. The Tartans of the Clans and Families of Scotland 1st Edition. Edinburgh: W & A. K. Johnston Limited, 1938. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
The Hensley Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Hensley Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 28 August 2013 at 10:46.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!