100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Origins Available: Dutch, English
Where did the Dutch Hassell family come from? What is the Dutch Hassell family crest and coat of arms? When did the Hassell family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Hassell family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Hasselt, Hassell, Hasselte, Hassl, Hasseltner, Hasselts and many more.
First found in Holland, where the name became noted for its many branches in the region, each house acquiring a status and influence which was envied by the princes of the region. The name was first recorded in Amsterdam, an ancient 13th century town held by the Lords of Amstel. Giesebrecht II built a castle there. Geisbrecht III built the dam to keep out the sea. It is first mentioned in charters of 1275 when Floris IV, the count of Holland granted its charter. It became a city of great mercantile wealth. It hold great treasures of art. In their later history the surname became a power unto themselves and were elevated to the ranks of nobility as they grew into a most influential family.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hassell research. Another 275 words(20 lines of text) covering the year 1816 is included under the topic Early Hassell History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Hassell Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Hassell Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- William Hassell settled in Virginia in 1635
- Wm Hassell, aged 24, landed in Virginia in 1635
- John Hassell, who landed in Ipswich, Massachusetts in 1636
- Richard Hassell, who landed in Cambridge, Massachusetts in 1647
- Alice Hassell, who arrived in Maryland in 1660
Hassell Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Richard Hassell settled in New England in 1743
- Ann Hassell, who arrived in America in 1762
- Ernst Hassell, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1778
Hassell Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Benjn. Hassell, who came to Philadelphia in 1808
- Abraham Hassell, who settled in New York, NY in 1823
- Sampson Hassell, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1823
- Margareth Hassell, aged 26, arrived in New York in 1854
- Caroline Hassell, aged 8, arrived in New York in 1854
- Jon Hassell (b. 1937), American composer and trumpeter
- Leroy R Hassell Sr., American jurist, the first black chief justice of the Virginia Supreme Court
- Trenton Lavar Hassell (b. 1979), American professional NBA basketball forward
- Gerald L. Hassell (b. 1952), American Chairman, CEO and President of The Bank of New York Mellon
- George Hassell (1881-1937), American stage and film actor
- John A Hassell Ph.D., Professor in the Department of Biology at McMaster University
- Robert John Francis "Bobby" Hassell (b. 1980), English footballer
- Ulrich von Hassell (1881-1944), German diplomat during World War II, member of the German Resistance against Adolf Hitler, he was executed in the aftermath of the failed July 20 plot
- Eugene "Gene" Hassell, Amerrican minor league baseball player and manager
- John Hassell (1767-1825), English watercolour landscape painter, engraver, illustrator, writer, publisher and drawing-master
- De Jong, Gerald Francis. The Dutch in America 1609-1974. New York: Twayne, 1975. Print.
- Jones, Henry Z. Palatine Families of New York 2 Volumes. Rockland, ME: Picton Press, 2001. Print. (ISBN 978-0961388829).
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Haverkamp, Alfred. Medieval Germany 1056-1273 2nd edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print.
- Gottschald, Max. Deutsche Namenkunde unsere Familiennamen nach ihrer Entstehung und Bedeutung. München: J.F. Lehmanns Verlag, 1932. Print.
- Rietstap, Johannes Baptist. Armorial Général. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Rupp, Daniel L. A Collection of Upwards of Thirty Thousand Names of German, Swiss, Dutch, French and Other Immigrants to Pennsylvania from 1727 to 1776. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 2000. Print. (ISBN 978-0806303024).
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Schenk, Trudy. Wuerttemberg Emigration Index Volume I-VIII. Salt Lake City: Ancestry Inc., 1986. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
The Hassell Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Hassell Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 5 May 2014 at 15:49.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!