100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the Irish Hartnett family come from? What is the Irish Hartnett family crest and coat of arms? When did the Hartnett family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Hartnett family history?The Gaelic name used by the Hartnett family in ancient Ireland was O hAthairne, which is possibly derived from the word athardha, which means paternal.
Names written in official documents were generally spelt as they sounded, leading to the problem of one name being recorded under several different variations, creating the illusion in records of more than one person. Among the many spelling variations of the surname Hartnett that are preserved in documents of the family history are Harney, Hartney, O'Harney, Hartney, Harnedy, Harnet, Harnett, Hartnet, Hartnett, Haherny and many more.
First found in county Connacht (Irish: Connachta, (land of the) descendants of Conn), where they held a family seat from very ancient times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hartnett research. Another 149 words(11 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Hartnett History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Hartnett Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
The English-ruled Ireland of the late 18th and 19th centuries featured a rapidly increasing population and an agricultural-based economy. This combination proved to be disastrous in the 1840s after a couple of failed potato harvests. Thousands died of disease and starvation, and thousands more left the country, often bound for North America. Those that survived the journey to North America were put to work building the bridges, canals, roadways, and railways needed for the development of an industrial society. Those Irish, although often despised by those already established in North American cities and towns, played an instrumental role in making Canada and the United States the powerful and wealthy nations that they are today. An examination of early immigration and passenger lists has shown many immigrants bearing the name Hartnett:
Hartnett Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Bridget, Cornelius, Dennis, Ellen, John, Lawrence, Mary, Patrick and William Hartnett settled in Boston Massachusetts in 1849
- William Hartnett, who arrived in St Clair County, Illinois in 1860
- Edmond Hartnett, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1872
- Patrick Hartnett, who landed in St Clair County, Illinois in 1887
- Ellie Hartnett, aged 20, who settled in America from Cork, in 1892
Hartnett Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- Bride Hartnett, aged 28, who emigrated to the United States from Newcastlewest, Ireland, in 1907
- Charles Hartnett, aged 26, who settled in America from Knocknogshill, Ireland, in 1907
- Denis Hartnett, aged 32, who emigrated to the United States from Newmarket, Ireland, in 1908
- Elizabeth Hartnett, aged 21, who emigrated to the United States from Killeagh, Ireland, in 1910
- Cornelius Hartnett, aged 18, who landed in America from Kenmare, Ireland, in 1911
- Charles "Gabby" Hartnett (1900-1972), American Major League Baseball catcher and manager
- Josh Hartnett (b. 1978), American actor
- Thomas F. Hartnett (b. 1941), U.S. Representative from South Carolina
- Jimmy Hartnett, Irish former professional footballer
- Kevin Hartnett (b. 1984), Irish sports person
- Sir Laurence John Hartnett (1898-1986), Australian automotive engineer
- Angela Hartnett MBE (b. 1968), British Chef
- Sonya Hartnett (b. 1938), Australian author
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Read, Charles Anderson. The Cabinet of Irish Literature Selections from the Works of the Chief Poets, Orators and Prose Writers of Ireland 4 Volumes. London: Blackie and Son, 1884. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- O'Hart, John. Irish Pedigress 5th Edition in 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0737-4).
- Heraldic Scroll and Map of Family names and Origins of Ireland. Dublin: Mullins. Print.
- Fitzgerald, Thomas W. Ireland and Her People A Library of Irish Biography 5 Volumes. Chicago: Fitzgerald. Print.
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1978. Print.
The Hartnett Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Hartnett Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 12 October 2014 at 15:13.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!