100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Origins Available: English, Irish
Where did the Irish Harrington family come from? When did the Harrington family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Harrington family history?While the name Harrington is a well-known English name, people with this surname who claim Ireland as their homeland probably do so correctly. The Birth Registry of 1890 of families in Ulster that were of Scottish/English stock reveals no entries for the surname Harrington. Ancient records reveal that the name was originally O'Airchdain in Gaelic .
Spelling variations of this family name include: Harrington, Harington, Harraghtan, Hargadan and many more.
First found in south-west Cork and Kerry. There are numerous versions of the name in Gaelic including: O'Hungerdell, O hIongardail, O hOireachtaigh (found in County Galway and County Mayo), and O hArrachtain (found in the Tralee-Dingle area of Kerry). All have been Anglicized into Harrington or one of it's variants for record keeping. 
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Harrington research. Another 145 words(10 lines of text) covering the year 1851 is included under the topic Early Harrington History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 21 words(2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Harrington Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Harrington Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Edward Harrington who arrived in Virginia in 1606
- Thomas Harrington settled in Maryland in 1633
- Elias Harrington settled in Virginia in 1635
- Elias Harrington, aged 22, landed in Virginia in 1635
- Jo Harrington, who arrived in Maryland in 1635
Harrington Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- James Harrington, who landed in Salem, Massachusetts in 1768
Harrington Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Robert Harrington, who landed in Alexandria, Va in 1818
- C. Harrington settled in Boston Massachusetts in 1822
- Michael Harrington, who landed in Mobile County, Ala in 1840
- Bridget Harrington settled in Boston in 1850
- Joseph Harrington, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851
- Al Harrington (b. 1935), American television actor
- Doug Harrington (1966-2006), American heavy metal guitarist
- Donald Szantho Harrington (1914-2005), American politician and religious leader
- Jay H. Harrington III (b. 1971), American actor
- Mr. Charles Henry Harrington (d. 1912), aged 37, American First Class passenger from Washington, D.C. who sailed aboard the RMS Titanic and died in the sinking
- Hastings Edward Harrington VC (1832-1861), English recipient of the Victoria Cross
- Richard Harrington (b. 1975), Welsh actor
- Richard Harrington (1911-2005), German-Canadian photographer
- Richard Charles Harrington (1956-2004), British physician and psychologist
- Kevin Harrington (b. 1959), Australian actor perhaps best known for his role as David Bishop on the Australian soap opera Neighbours
- Harrington-Heath Heritage: Ancestors and Descendants (1600-1984) of Oramel Warren Harrington and Martha C. Heath by Ruth Haddox Harrington.
- The Ancestry of Marie Louise Harrington and Her Bagley Descendants by David Harrington Bagley.
- ^ O'Hart, John, Irish Pedigress 5th Edition in 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0737-4)
- ^ MacLysaght, Edward, Irish Families Their Names, Arms and Origins 4th Edition. Dublin: Irish Academic, 1982. Print. (ISBN 0-7165-2364-7)
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Vicars, Sir Arthur. Index to the Prerogative Wills of Ireland 1536-1810. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Woulfe, Rev. Patrick. Irish Names and Surnames Collected and Edited with Explanatory and Historical Notes. Kansas City: Genealogical Foundation, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-940134-403).
- Woodham-Smith, Cecil. The Great Hunger Ireland 1845-1849. New York: Old Town Books, 1962. Print. (ISBN 0-88029-385-3).
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- MacLysaght, Edward. Mores Irish Familes. Dublin: Irish Academic, 1982. Print. (ISBN 0-7165-0126-0).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
This page was last modified on 30 November 2012 at 14:11.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!