100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Origins Available: English, Irish
Where did the Irish Harrington family come from? When did the Harrington family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Harrington family history?While the name Harrington is a well-known English name, people with this surname who claim Ireland as their homeland probably do so correctly. The Birth Registry of 1890 of families in Ulster that were of Scottish/English stock reveals no entries for the surname Harrington. Ancient records reveal that the name was originally O'Airchdain in Gaelic .
Spelling variations of this family name include: Harrington, Harington, Harraghtan, Hargadan and many more.
First found in south-west Cork and Kerry. There are numerous versions of the name in Gaelic including: O'Hungerdell, O hIongardail, O hOireachtaigh (found in County Galway and County Mayo), and O hArrachtain (found in the Tralee-Dingle area of Kerry). All have been Anglicized into Harrington or one of it's variants for record keeping. 
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Harrington research. Another 145 words(10 lines of text) covering the year 1851 is included under the topic Early Harrington History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 21 words(2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Harrington Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Harrington Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Edward Harrington who arrived in Virginia in 1606
- Thomas Harrington settled in Maryland in 1633
- Elias Harrington settled in Virginia in 1635
- Elias Harrington, aged 22, landed in Virginia in 1635
- Jo Harrington, who arrived in Maryland in 1635
Harrington Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- James Harrington, who landed in Salem, Massachusetts in 1768
Harrington Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Robert Harrington, who landed in Alexandria, Va in 1818
- C. Harrington settled in Boston Massachusetts in 1822
- Michael Harrington, who landed in Mobile County, Ala in 1840
- Bridget Harrington settled in Boston in 1850
- Joseph Harrington, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851
- Al Harrington (b. 1935), American television actor
- Doug Harrington (1966-2006), American heavy metal guitarist
- Donald Szantho Harrington (1914-2005), American politician and religious leader
- Jay H. Harrington III (b. 1971), American actor
- Mr. Charles Henry Harrington (d. 1912), aged 37, American First Class passenger from Washington, D.C. who sailed aboard the RMS Titanic and died in the sinking
- Daniel J. Harrington (1940-2014), American professor of New Testament and chair of the Biblical Studies Department at Boston College School of Theology and Ministry
- Hastings Edward Harrington VC (1832-1861), English recipient of the Victoria Cross
- Richard Harrington (b. 1975), Welsh actor
- Richard Harrington (1911-2005), German-Canadian photographer
- Richard Charles Harrington (1956-2004), British physician and psychologist
- Harrington-Heath Heritage: Ancestors and Descendants (1600-1984) of Oramel Warren Harrington and Martha C. Heath by Ruth Haddox Harrington.
- The Ancestry of Marie Louise Harrington and Her Bagley Descendants by David Harrington Bagley.
- ^ O'Hart, John, Irish Pedigress 5th Edition in 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0737-4)
- ^ MacLysaght, Edward, Irish Families Their Names, Arms and Origins 4th Edition. Dublin: Irish Academic, 1982. Print. (ISBN 0-7165-2364-7)
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1970. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Donovan, George Francis. The Pre-Revolutionary Irish in Massachusetts 1620-1775. Menasha, WI: Geroge Banta Publsihing Co., 1932. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- Vicars, Sir Arthur. Index to the Prerogative Wills of Ireland 1536-1810. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Bell, Robert. The Book of Ulster Surnames. Belfast: Blackstaff, 1988. Print. (ISBN 10-0856404160).
- Somerset Fry, Peter and Fiona Somerset Fry. A History of Ireland. New York: Barnes and Noble, 1993. Print. (ISBN 1-56619-215-3).
This page was last modified on 30 November 2012 at 14:11.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!