100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2013
Origins Available: Dutch, German, Norwegian, Scottish, Swedish
Where did the Scottish Hall family come from? What is the Scottish Hall family crest and coat of arms? When did the Hall family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Hall family history?The first bearers of the distinguished surname Hall came to England in the great wave of migration that followed the Norman Conquest of 1066. The name is occupational in origin, stemming from the primary activity of the bearer. It is derived from the Old French term "halle," which referred to a large manor house, and indicates that the original bearer of the name worked at the manor of the local Lord in some role such as a servant or chamberlain. Many of the Norman noblemen who came to England with William the Conqueror soon grew dissatisfied with William's rule; as such, members of the Hall family accepted land grants from King Malcolm Canmore of Scotland, and became prominent in that country.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Hall, Halle, Haule, Haul, Hal, De Aule and others.
First found in Lincolnshire, England, where the family was granted lands after the Norman Conquest in 1066. The Hall family is directly descended from Earl Fitzwilliam, who held a family seat at Greatford Hall in Lincolnshire, after the Norman Conquest. The younger son of this noble house, Arthur FitzWilliam, came to be known as "Hall" so as to distinguish him from his senior brother. Hence, Arthur Hall was the first known bearer of the name, appearing on record about the year 1090.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hall research. Another 465 words(33 lines of text) covering the years 1340, 1600, 1574, 1656, 1613, 1668, 1662, 1668, 1610, 1665, 1669, 1654, 1656, 1619, 1667, 1654, 1660, 1637, 1690, 1688, 1690, 1620, 1687, 1627, 1656, 1646, 1672, 1716, 1715, 1716 and are included under the topic Early Hall History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 343 words(24 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Hall Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Hall family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 139 words(10 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Hall Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Georg Hall, who landed in Virginia in 1620
- Hugh Hall, who landed in Virginia in 1623
- Christopher Hall who settled in Virginia in 1623
- Edward Hall settled in Cambridge, Massachusetts in 1630
- Edw Hall, who arrived in Virginia in 1635
Hall Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Anthony Hall, who arrived in Virg,inia in 1701
- Edwd Hall, who landed in Virginia in 1705
- Egram Hall, who arrived in Philadelphia in 1730
- David Hall, who landed in America in 1743
- Clement Hall, who landed in North Carolina in 1744
Hall Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Adam Hall, who landed in America in 1801
- Aric Hall, whose Oath of Allegiance was recorded in Pennsylvania in 1803
- Aric Hall, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1803
- Alexander Hall, who landed in Connecticut in 1811
- Hobert Hall, who arrived in New York, NY in 1811
Hall Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- Frederick Hall, who landed in Mobile, Ala in 1903
- Charley Fredrick Hall, who landed in Wisconsin in 1912
- Monty Hall (b. 1924), best known as the host of the popular game show "Let's Make a Deal"
- Arsenio Hall (b. 1956), American actor, comedian, and talk show host
- Asaph Hall (1829-1907), American astronomer, who discovered and named Deimos and Phobos, the two satellites of Mars
- Edward T Hall (b. 1914), American anthropologist who explored differences between cultures in terms of time, context, and space
- Brigadier General William Preble Hall (1848-1927), American Army officer awarded the Medal of Honor for valor in action on October 20, 1879
- Edwin Herbert Hall (1855-1938), American physicist who discovered the "Hall effect"
- Diane Hall (b. 1946), birth name of Diane Keaton, American Academy Award winning actress, director, producer, and screenwriter
- Gary Wayne Hall (b. 1974), American swimmer who competed in the 1996, 2000, and 2004 Olympics and won ten Olympic medals (5 gold, 3 silver, 2 bronze)
- Staff Sergeant George J Hall (1921-1946), American Army soldier awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor in 1944
- Technician Fifth Grade Lewis R. Hall (1895-1943), American Army soldier awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor in 1943
- An Alabama Newspaper Tradition: Grover C. Hall and the Hall Family by Daniel Webster Hollis.
- A Givens-Hall Family History from Pre-Revolutionary Times to 1970; Including Many Related Families Such as Alexander, Bowman, Black, Chapman, French, Green, Johnston, Phlegar, Ross, Snidow, Stafford, Welker and Others by Dorothy Hall Givens.
- Barrow, G.W.S Ed. The Charters of David I The Written Acts of David I King of Scots, 1124-53 and of His Son Henry, Earl of Northumerland, 1139-52. Woodbridge: The Boydell Press, 1999. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Markale, J. Celtic Civilization. London: Gordon & Cremonesi, 1976. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Scotch Irish Pioneers In Ulster and America. Montana: Kessinger Publishing. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Adam, Frank. Clans Septs and Regiments of the Scottish Highlands 8th Edition. London: Bacon (G.W.) & Co, 1970. Print. (ISBN 10-0717945006).
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
The Hall Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Hall Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 4 December 2013 at 14:46.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!