BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Origins Available: English, Irish
Where did the English Grimes family come from? What is the English Grimes family crest and coat of arms? When did the Grimes family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Grimes family history?The Anglo-Saxon name Grimes comes from the baptismal name for the son of Grimme.
Before the last few hundred years, the English language had no fast system of spelling rules. For that reason, spelling variations are commonly found in early Anglo-Saxon surnames. Over the years, many variations of the name Grimes were recorded, including Grimes, Grimm, Grime, Grimme, Grimmes and others.
First found in East Cheshire where they held a family seat from very early times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Grimes research. Another 379 words(27 lines of text) covering the years 1086, 1279, 1329, 1400, 1605, 1657, 1628, 1701, 1614, 1690, 1646, 1660 and are included under the topic Early Grimes History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 113 words(8 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Grimes Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Grimes family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 131 words(9 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
To escape oppression and starvation at that time, many English families left for the "open frontiers" of the New World with all its perceived opportunities. In droves people migrated to the many British colonies, those in North America in particular, paying high rates for passages in cramped, unsafe ships. Although many of the settlers did not make the long passage alive, those who did see the shores of North America perceived great opportunities before them. Many of the families that came from England went on to make essential contributions to the emerging nations of Canada and the United States. Research into various historical records revealed some of first members of the Grimes family emigrate to North America:
Grimes Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Greorge Grimes, who landed in Virginia in 1622
- Ann Grimes, who arrived in Jamestown, Va in 1624
- Samuel Grimes a "pewterer" who landed in Boston in 1635
- Jon Grimes, who landed in Virginia in 1635
- Walter Grimes, who arrived in Virginia in 1635
Grimes Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- John Grimes settled in North Carolina in 1701
- Archy Grimes, who arrived in Virginia in 1706
- Archibald Grimes, who landed in Virginia in 1711
- Isaac Grimes, who landed in Virginia in 1711
- Constantine Grimes, who arrived in Virginia in 1717
Grimes Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Bernard Grimes settled in Pennsylvania in 1802
- Jas Grimes, who landed in America in 1805
- Henry Grimes, who landed in America in 1806
- Guy Grimes, who arrived in Baltimore, Maryland in 1818
- Guy Grimes settled in Baltimore Maryland in 1818
- Camryn Grimes (b. 1990), Emmy Award-winning American soap opera actress
- Martha Grimes (b. 1931), American author of detective fiction, known for her Richard Jury series
- Major-General William Middleton Grimes (1889-1951), American Commanding General Antilles Department (1945-1946)
- Burleigh Arland Grimes (1893-1985), American Major League Baseball pitcher, inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1964
- James Wilson Grimes (1816-1872), American politician, United States Senator from Iowa (1859-1869), 3rd Governor of Iowa
- Tammy Lee Grimes (b. 1934), American two-time Tony Award winning actress and singer who starred in her own ABC television series, The Tammy Grimes Show in 1966, inducted into the American Theater Hall of Fame
- Henry Grimes (b. 1935), American jazz double bassist, violinist, and poet from Philadelphia
- Oscar Ray Grimes Sr. (1893-1953), American Major League Baseball first baseman
- Charles Grimes (1772-1858), English surveyor of Australia who discovered the Yarr River, Surveyor General of New South Wales
- Ashley James Grimes (b. 1986), English footballer
- Genealogy of Myers and Grimes Families by W. Oscar Grimes.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Cook, Chris. English Historical Facts 1603-1688. London: MacMillan, 1980. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Foster, Joseph. Dictionary of Heraldry Feudal Coats of Arms and Pedigrees. London: Bracken Books, 1989. Print. (ISBN 1-85170-309-8).
- Sanders, Joanne McRee Edition. English Settlers in Barbados 1637-1800. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry: Including American Families with British Ancestry. (2 Volumes). London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Dunkling, Leslie. Dictionary of Surnames. Toronto: Collins, 1998. Print. (ISBN 0004720598).
- Shirley, Evelyn Philip. Noble and Gentle Men of England Or Notes Touching The Arms and Descendants of the Ancient Knightley and Gentle Houses of England Arranged in their Respective Counties 3rd Edition. Westminster: John Bowyer Nichols and Sons, 1866. Print.
The Grimes Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Grimes Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 14 February 2014 at 15:29.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is