BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the Irish Greaney family come from? What is the Irish Greaney family crest and coat of arms? When did the Greaney family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Greaney family history?The surname Greaney comes from the original Irish "O Grainne," from the female Christian name Grainne. Thus, it is one of a very limited number of matronymic names in Ireland.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Greaney, O'Greaney, Greany, O'Greany, Graney, Granny, O'Granie, O'Grane and many more.
First found in County Cork (Irish: Corcaigh) the ancient Kingdom of Deis Muin (Desmond), located on the southwest coast of Ireland in the province of Munster, where the Justiciary Rolls mention the acquittal of Rawenyld O'Grayne in 1313, who was charged with aiding a convicted robber. The name appears in 16th century Tudor Fiants from the same area.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Greaney research. More information is included under the topic Early Greaney History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Greaney Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Greaney Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Patrick Greaney, who took the Oath of Allegiance in Philadelphia in 1856
- John Greaney, who was naturalized in Iowa in 1872
- John Greaney, aged 38, who emigrated to the United States from Dungaroan. Co. Waterford, in 1897
- Bridget Greaney, aged 18, who emigrated to the United States from Tuan, Galway, in 1898
- Delia Greaney, aged 18, who settled in America from Dunmore, in 1899
Greaney Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- John Greaney, aged 18, who settled in America from Ardralian, Co Galway, Ireland, in 1906
- James Greaney, aged 17, who emigrated to the United States from Shrule, Ireland, in 1911
- Andrew Greaney, aged 26, who landed in America from Tralee, Ireland, in 1911
- Denis Greaney, aged 41, who emigrated to America from Clifden, Ireland, in 1913
- Josephine Greaney, aged 4, who emigrated to America from Newcastle, Ireland, in 1913
- Daniel "Dan" Greaney, American television writer, known for his work with The Simpsons and The Office
- John Greaney (b. 1939), former Associate Justice on the Supreme Judicial Court of Massachusetts
- Con Greaney, Irish singer
- Patrick Greaney, 18th century Gaelic-Irish poet
- Mark Greaney (b. 1980), Irish musician, best known as the singer and guitarist in the alternative rock band JJ72
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Hickey, D.J. and J.E. Doherty. A New Dictionary of Irish History form 1800 2nd Edition. Dublin: Gil & MacMillian, 2003. Print.
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1970. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Woodham-Smith, Cecil. The Great Hunger Ireland 1845-1849. New York: Old Town Books, 1962. Print. (ISBN 0-88029-385-3).
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1978. Print.
- Sullivan, Sir Edward. The Book of Kells 3rd Edition. New York: Crescent Books, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-517-61987-3).
- Tepper, Michael Ed & Elizabeth P. Bentley Transcriber. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of Philadelphia 1800-1819. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1986. Print.
- Read, Charles Anderson. The Cabinet of Irish Literature Selections from the Works of the Chief Poets, Orators and Prose Writers of Ireland 4 Volumes. London: Blackie and Son, 1884. Print.
- O'Hart, John. Irish Pedigress 5th Edition in 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0737-4).
The Greaney Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Greaney Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 24 July 2014 at 09:36.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is