100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the Irish Greaney family come from? What is the Irish Greaney family crest and coat of arms? When did the Greaney family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Greaney family history?The surname Greaney comes from the original Irish "O Grainne," from the female Christian name Grainne. Thus, it is one of a very limited number of matronymic names in Ireland.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Greaney, O'Greaney, Greany, O'Greany, Graney, Granny, O'Granie, O'Grane and many more.
First found in County Cork (Irish: Corcaigh) the ancient Kingdom of Deis Muin (Desmond), located on the southwest coast of Ireland in the province of Munster, where the Justiciary Rolls mention the acquittal of Rawenyld O'Grayne in 1313, who was charged with aiding a convicted robber. The name appears in 16th century Tudor Fiants from the same area.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Greaney research. More information is included under the topic Early Greaney History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Greaney Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Greaney Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Patrick Greaney, who took the Oath of Allegiance in Philadelphia in 1856
- John Greaney, who was naturalized in Iowa in 1872
- John Greaney, aged 38, who emigrated to the United States from Dungaroan. Co. Waterford, in 1897
- Bridget Greaney, aged 18, who emigrated to the United States from Tuan, Galway, in 1898
- Delia Greaney, aged 18, who settled in America from Dunmore, in 1899
Greaney Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- John Greaney, aged 18, who settled in America from Ardralian, Co Galway, Ireland, in 1906
- James Greaney, aged 17, who emigrated to the United States from Shrule, Ireland, in 1911
- Andrew Greaney, aged 26, who landed in America from Tralee, Ireland, in 1911
- Denis Greaney, aged 41, who emigrated to America from Clifden, Ireland, in 1913
- Josephine Greaney, aged 4, who emigrated to America from Newcastle, Ireland, in 1913
- Daniel "Dan" Greaney, American television writer
- John Greaney (b. 1939), former Associate Justice on the Supreme Judicial Court of Massachusetts
- Con Greaney, Irish singer
- Patrick Greaney, 18th century Gaelic-Irish poet
- Bell, Robert. The Book of Ulster Surnames. Belfast: Blackstaff, 1988. Print. (ISBN 10-0856404160).
- Donovan, George Francis. The Pre-Revolutionary Irish in Massachusetts 1620-1775. Menasha, WI: Geroge Banta Publsihing Co., 1932. Print.
- Tepper, Michael Ed & Elizabeth P. Bentley Transcriber. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of Philadelphia 1800-1819. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1986. Print.
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Read, Charles Anderson. The Cabinet of Irish Literature Selections from the Works of the Chief Poets, Orators and Prose Writers of Ireland 4 Volumes. London: Blackie and Son, 1884. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
The Greaney Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Greaney Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 15 October 2013 at 14:57.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!