BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the English Gossett family come from? What is the English Gossett family crest and coat of arms? When did the Gossett family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Gossett family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Gossett, Gosset, Josset, Jossett, Gazzard and many more.
First found in Cambridgeshire where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the year 1279 when Robert and Isabella held estates in that shire.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Gossett research. Another 278 words(20 lines of text) covering the years 1455 and 1487 are included under the topic Early Gossett History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Gossett Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Gossett Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Peter Gossett, his wife Catherine Du Four, and their four children, who arrived in Pennsylvania between the years 1650-1765
Gossett Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Andrew E. Gossett, was on record in Texas in 1833
- Louis Cameron Gossett Jr. (b. 1936), Academy Award winning American actor
- Robert Gossett (b. 1954), American television, theater, and film actor
- William Thomas Gossett (1904-1998), American lawyer, who was president of American Bar Association 1968-1969
- Charles Clinton Gossett (1888-1974), Democratic Governor and United States Senator from Idaho
- Chronicles of the Gossett Family by Grace M. Jerkins.
- The Family of Gossett by Evangeline Gossett Newcomer.
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds. Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Bede, The Venerable. Historia Ecclesiatica Gentis Anglorum (The Ecclesiastical History Of the English People). Available through Internet Medieval Sourcebook the Fordham University Centre for Medieval Studies. Print.
- Dunkling, Leslie. Dictionary of Surnames. Toronto: Collins, 1998. Print. (ISBN 0004720598).
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1790. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
The Gossett Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Gossett Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 22 June 2013 at 18:04.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is