BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Origins Available: English, German
Where did the English Goss family come from? What is the English Goss family crest and coat of arms? When did the Goss family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Goss family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Gosse, Goss, Joss, Jose and others.
First found in Staffordshire where they acquired lands in 1130, after the Norman invasion.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Goss research. Another 241 words(17 lines of text) covering the years 1195, 1202, 1205, 1327, 1359, 1400, and 1402 are included under the topic Early Goss History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Goss Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Goss Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- John Goss who arrived in Watertown, Massachusetts in 1631
- Jane Goss, who arrived in Virginia in 1656
- Henry Goss arrived in Maryland in 1658
- Henry Goss, who arrived in Maryland in 1658
- John Goss, who arrived in Maryland in 1672
Goss Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Johann Adam Goss arrived in Philadelphia in 1740
- Carl Goss arrived in Philadelphia in 1749
- Carl Goss, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1749
- Stephan Goss, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1752
- Johannes Goss, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1752
Goss Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- S W Goss, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851
- Michael Goss came to San Francisco in 1852
- Herman Goss, who landed in New York in 1874
- Carl, Francis, John, Patrick, Robert, Stephan, and Thomas Goss settled in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania between 1749 and 1876
- Charles Mayo Goss (b. 1899), American physician and educator
- Porter Johnston Goss (b. 1938), American politician, last Director of Central Intelligence
- Chris Goss (b. 1959), American record producer and musician
- Brigadier-General Wentworth Goss (1903-1971), American Assistant Plans Officer Pacific Air Forces (1943-1945)
- Joe Goss (b. 1837), English boxer, inductee into the International Boxing Hall of Fame in 2003
- Sir John Goss (1800-1880), English organist and composer, best known for his hymn Praise my Soul, the King of Heaven
- William Henry Goss (1833-1906), English porcelain manufacturer
- General Leonard George Goss (b. 1895), Australian Companion of the Bath
- Richard Oliver Goss (b. 1929), British Under-Secretary, Department of Industry
- Very Rev. Thomas Ashworth Goss (b. 1912), Dean of Jersey
- All About Me and My Ancestors by Laura Blanchard Simpson.
- Frederick Goss of Rowan County, North Carolina, and His Descendants by Lois Ione Hotchkiss Heuss.
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
- Sanders, Joanne McRee Edition. English Settlers in Barbados 1637-1800. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin . Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
- Library of Congress. American and English Genealogies in the Library of Congress. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1967. Print.
- Le Patourel, John. The Norman Empire. New York: Oxford University Press, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-19-822525-3).
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
The Goss Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Goss Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 26 April 2014 at 07:16.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is