BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the English Gosnell family come from? What is the English Gosnell family crest and coat of arms? When did the Gosnell family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Gosnell family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Gosnold, Gosney, Gosnall, Gossney, Gossnold, Goosney, Goozney, Goozeney, Goozenay, Gosnolde, Goznall and many more.
First found in Suffolk where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the 13th century.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Gosnell research. Another 276 words(20 lines of text) covering the years 1447, 1455, and 1487 are included under the topic Early Gosnell History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Gosnell Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Gosnell family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 151 words(11 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Gosnell Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Eliza Gosnell, who landed in Virginia in 1653
- Marg Gosnell, who arrived in Virginia in 1653
- Wm Gosnell, who landed in Virginia in 1658
Gosnell Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Mr. Frank Gosnell, aged 42, who emigrated to the United States, in 1896
- Mrs. Frank Gosnell, aged 40, who landed in America, in 1896
- Mr. Frank Gosnell, aged 42, who landed in America, in 1896
Gosnell Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- H. Gosnell, aged 32, who landed in America, in 1908
- Harry Gosnell, aged 33, who landed in America, in 1909
- Mary Gosnell, who emigrated to the United States, in 1909
- Harry Gosnell, aged 34, who settled in America, in 1910
- Thomas Gosnell, aged 22, who emigrated to America from Boyle, Ireland, in 1913
- Raja Raymond Gosnell (b. 1958), American film director and editor
- Jack Gosnell, US Consul General to St. Petersburg, Russia
- Albert Arthur Gosnell (1880-1972), English international footballer
- Kelvin Gosnell, British comics writer and editor
- Joseph Arthur Gosnell Sr. (b. 1936), distinguished leader of the Nisga'a people of northern British Columbia, Canada
- Thomas Charles Gosnell (b. 1951), Canadian mayor of London, Ontario
- Jim Gosnell, Australian rules footballer
- Elster, Robert J. International Who's Who. London: Europa/Routledge. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Lennard, Reginald. Rural England 1086-1135 A Study of Social and Agrarian Conditions. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1959. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Mills, A.D. Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4).
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
The Gosnell Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Gosnell Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 28 February 2014 at 22:04.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is