100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Origins Available: English, German
Where did the English Glenn family come from? What is the English Glenn family crest and coat of arms? When did the Glenn family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Glenn family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Glen, Glenn, Glenne and others.
First found in Peebles-shire where they held a family seat from early times. The Glen family name is derived from the ancient word "glean" meaning a small valley. The name was first found in the lands of Glen in the parish of Traquair in Peeblesshire, Scotland. The Chief of the family, Colban, received his lands of Quilte in a legacy from the Queen, which was later confirmed by Robert the Bruce in the following year, 1329.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Glenn research. Another 156 words(11 lines of text) covering the years 1377, 1386, and 1422 are included under the topic Early Glenn History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Glenn Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Glenn family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 216 words(15 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Glenn Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- William Glenn, who landed in America in 1809
- John Glenn, who landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1812
- Simon Glenn, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1817
- Agnes Glenn, who settled in Portsmouth or Norfolk, VA in 1820
- Nikolaus Glenn, who landed in America in 1831
- Colonel (USMC, Ret.) John Herschel Glenn Jr. (b. 1921), first American astronaut to orbit the earth and the oldest person to have entered orbit, having flown into space in 1998 aboard the Space Shuttle Discovery mission STS-95 at age 77, United States Senator for Ohio (1975-1999), and eponym of Glenn Research Center
- John Thomas Glenn (1844-1899), American mayor of Atlanta from 1889 to 1891
- Robert Broadnax Glenn (1854-1920), Democratic governor of North Carolina from 1905 to 1909
- Scott Glenn (b. 1941), American actor
- Brigadier-General Charles Roland Glenn (1891-1970), American Deputy Air Surgeon of the Army Air Force (1944-1945)
- Alice Glenn (b. 1927), former Irish Fine Gael politician
- Lorri Neilsen Glenn, award-winning Canadian poet
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
- Dunkling, Leslie. Dictionary of Surnames. Toronto: Collins, 1998. Print. (ISBN 0004720598).
- Cook, Chris. English Historical Facts 1603-1688. London: MacMillan, 1980. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
The Glenn Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Glenn Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 19 November 2013 at 10:01.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!