BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the Jewish Glass family come from? What is the Jewish Glass family crest and coat of arms? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Glass family history?
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Glass Settlers in the 17th Century
- Duncan Glass who settled in Virginia in 1651 with his wife Mary
- Dunkin Glass, who landed in Virginia in 1652
- Robt Glass, who landed in Virginia in 1664
- Joyce Glass, who landed in Maryland in 1678
Glass Settlers in the 18th Century
- William Glass settled in New England in 1709 with his wife, two sons and two daughters
- Dark Glass, who landed in Virginia in 1715
- Friderich Glass, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1733
- Sophia Glass, aged 28, arrived in Pennsylvania in 1733
- Martin Glass, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1749
Glass Settlers in the 19th Century
- Isabella Glass, who landed in New York, NY in 1811
- Alex Glass, who arrived in New York, NY in 1811
- Samuel Glass, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1812
- James, Glass Sr., aged 73, landed in New York in 1812-1813
- Isaac Glass, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1812
- Hiram Bentley Glass (1906-2005), American geneticist and noted columnist
- Philip Glass (b. 1937), Academy Award-nominated American composer
- Joanna McClelland Glass (b. 1936), Canadian-born, American playwright
- Julia Glass (b. 1956), American writer awarded the National Book Award in 2002
- Presley Thornton Glass (1824-1902), American politician, member of the United States House of Representatives
- Rear Admiral Henry Glass (1844-1908), American naval officer best remembered for his role in the bloodless capture of Guam in the Spanish-American War
- Brigadier Harold Patrick Lepel Glass (1909-1990), British Acting Commanding Officer 21st East African Brigade, Ceylon (1943)
- Joe Glass (1920-2012), one of the last surviving Canadian members of the legendary Devil's Brigade, a joint US/Canadian task force during World War II
- Hermann Glass (1878-1961), American Olympic gold medalist for gymnastics at the 1904 Summer Games
- Glass: A Genealogist's Collection by Lucille Barco Coone.
- Dunkling, Leslie. Dictionary of Surnames. Toronto: Collins, 1998. Print. (ISBN 0004720598).
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- Elster, Robert J. International Who's Who. London: Europa/Routledge. Print.
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds. Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
- Thirsk, Joan. The Agrarian History of England and Wales. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press: 7 Volumes. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Lennard, Reginald. Rural England 1086-1135 A Study of Social and Agrarian Conditions. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1959. Print.
- Shirley, Evelyn Philip. Noble and Gentle Men of England Or Notes Touching The Arms and Descendants of the Ancient Knightley and Gentle Houses of England Arranged in their Respective Counties 3rd Edition. Westminster: John Bowyer Nichols and Sons, 1866. Print.
The Glass Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Glass Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 4 December 2013.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is