BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Origins Available: Dutch, English
Where did the English Gilson family come from? What is the English Gilson family crest and coat of arms? When did the Gilson family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Gilson family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Gillson, Gilson, Gillieson and others.
First found in Dumfriesshire and in Warwickshire at Gilson, a hamlet that dates back to 1232 AD. Gilston is a village near Harlow in the county of Hertfordshire.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Gilson research. Another 163 words(12 lines of text) covering the years 1150 and 1500 are included under the topic Early Gilson History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Gilson Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Gilson family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 35 words(2 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Gilson Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- William Gilson, who arrived in New England in 1633
- Ann Gilson settled in New England in 1635
- Thomas Gilson settled in Barbados in 1635
- Ann Gilson, aged 34, arrived in America in 1635
- Andrew Gilson, who landed in Virginia in 1650
Gilson Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Eliza Gilson, who arrived in Virginia in 1701
Gilson Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Richard Gilson, aged 35, arrived in Massachusetts in 1812
- John Gilson, who arrived in New York, NY in 1816
- Tinely Gilson, aged 25, arrived in New York in 1849
- Thomas Gilson, who landed in Washington County, Pennsylvania in 1884
- Harold "Hal" Gilson (b. 1942), American former Major League Baseball pitcher
- Tom Gilson (1934-1962), American actor
- Paul Gilson (1865-1942), Belgian musician and composer
- Glenda Gilson (b. 1981), Irish model and television presenter
- Étienne Gilson (1884-1978), French Thomistic philosopher and historian of philosophy
- Georges Robert Edmond Gilson (b. 1929), French Catholic bishop
- Bardsley, C.W. A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6).
- Markale, J. Celtic Civilization. London: Gordon & Cremonesi, 1976. Print.
- Foster, Joseph. Dictionary of Heraldry Feudal Coats of Arms and Pedigrees. London: Bracken Books, 1989. Print. (ISBN 1-85170-309-8).
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. The Tartans of the Clans and Families of Scotland 1st Edition. Edinburgh: W & A. K. Johnston Limited, 1938. Print.
- Dunkling, Leslie. Dictionary of Surnames. Toronto: Collins, 1998. Print. (ISBN 0004720598).
- Le Patourel, John. The Norman Empire. New York: Oxford University Press, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-19-822525-3).
- Humble, Richard. The Fall of Saxon England. New York: Barnes and Noble, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-88029-987-8).
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
The Gilson Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Gilson Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 26 February 2014 at 20:08.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is