BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Origins Available: French, Scottish
Where did the French Gilles family come from? What is the French Gilles family crest and coat of arms? When did the Gilles family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Gilles family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Gilly, Gilli, Gilles, La Gilly, Les Gilles, Le Gilly, De Gilly, De Gilli, Le Gilli, Du Gilley, Du Gilli, Des Gilles, Jilly, Jilli, Jilles, De Jilly, De Jilli, Des Jilles, Gillis and many more.
First found in Languedoc, where this eminent family held a family seat since ancient times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Gilles research. Another 661 words(47 lines of text) covering the years 1146, 1150, 1424, 1462, 1785, 1803, 1704, 1733, 1740, 1752, 1808, 1815, 1596, 1665, 1668 and 1705 are included under the topic Early Gilles History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 59 words(4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Gilles Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Gilles Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Jno Gilles, who arrived in Virginia in 1658
- Edward Gilles Jr. settled in Barbados in 1680
Gilles Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- John Gilles, who arrived in Virginia in 1705
- Melchior Gilles, who arrived in New York, NY in 1708
- Markham Gilles, who landed in Virginia in 1776
Gilles Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- George Gilles settled in Philadelphia in 1812
- Catherine Gilles, who arrived in New York, NY in 1836
- Eliza Gilles, who arrived in New York, NY in 1836
- William Gilles, who landed in New York, NY in 1836
- George Gilles, aged 1, landed in New York, NY in 1847
- Alexe Gilles (b. 1992), American figure skater, 2008 U.S. Junior Champion and 2008 Junior Grand Prix Final bronze medalist
- Todd Gilles (b. 1986), American ice dancer
- Jean Gilles (1668-1705), French composer
- Jean Gilles (1904-1961), French General
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Conrad, Glenn R. The First Families of Louisiana. Baton Rouge LA: Claitor's Publishing, 1970. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Illustrations to the Armorial general by J. B. Rietstap 6 volumes in 3. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1976. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
The Gilles Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Gilles Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 15 October 2013 at 15:39.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is