100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the English Gholson family come from? What is the English Gholson family crest and coat of arms? When did the Gholson family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Gholson family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Gouldston, Goulston, Goldston, Goulston, Goulson, Gouldson, Goldson, Golstone, Gouldstone, Gulston, Guldston, Gulson, Gulderson, Goolston and many more.
First found in Bedfordshire, where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the year 1273 when Hugh, Michael and Ralph Goldstone held estates in that shire.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Gholson research. Another 199 words(14 lines of text) covering the years 1379, 1455, 1487, 1636, 1684, 1679, 1760, 1816, 1808, 1816 and 1812 are included under the topic Early Gholson History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 89 words(6 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Gholson Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Gholson Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- Ida Gholson, aged 21, who emigrated to the United States, in 1907
- Stuart Gholson, aged 21, who emigrated to America, in 1907
- Mary Gholson, aged 17, who landed in America, in 1911
- Samuel Jameson Gholson (1808-1883), American judge for the district of Mississippi (1838-1861), US Congressman, and Confederate Army Brigadier-General (1864)
- William Yates Gholson (1807-1870), American Republican politician and jurist, Justice of the Ohio Supreme Court (1859-1863)
- James Herbert Gholson (1798-1848), American congressman, lawyer and judge from Virginia, Member of the U.S. House of Representatives from Virginia (1833-1835)
- Thomas Gholson Jr. (1780-1816), American lawyer and politician who represented Virginia from 1808 to 1816 in the United States House of Representatives
- Richard Dickerson Gholson (1804-1862), American politician, the 3rd American Territorial Governor of Washington (1859-1861)
- Thomas Saunders Gholson (1808-1868), prominent American Confederate politician
- Christien Gholson, American novelist, best known for his book, A Fish Trapped Inside the Wind
- Library of Congress. American and English Genealogies in the Library of Congress. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1967. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
The Gholson Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Gholson Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 17 February 2014 at 08:46.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!