100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Origins Available: French, German, Scottish
Where did the Scottish Gass family come from? What is the Scottish Gass family crest and coat of arms? When did the Gass family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Gass family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Gass, Gasse and others.
First found in Yorkshire, where they held a family seat from very early times and were granted lands by Duke William of Normandy, their liege Lord, for their distinguished assistance at the Battle of Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Gass research. Another 297 words(21 lines of text) covering the year 1626 is included under the topic Early Gass History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Gass Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Gass Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Edward Gass, aged 20, arrived in St Christopher in 1635
- Jon Gass, who landed in Virginia in 1635
Gass Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Jacob, Gass Jr., who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1727
- Frederich Gass, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1727
- Frederick, Gass Jr., who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1727
- Friedrich Gass, who landed in America in 1735
- Martin Gass, who landed in America in 1736
Gass Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- John Gass, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1804
- John J Gass, who arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1806
- Henry Gass, who arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1806
- Samuel Gass, aged 48, arrived in Tennessee in 1812
- Joseph Gass, who arrived in New York in 1835
Gass Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- Monika Gass, aged 13, landed in New York, NY in 1901
- William H Gass (b. 1924), American novelist and short story writer
- Craig Gass (b. 1970), American stand-up comedian
- Kyle Gass (b. 1960), American actor and a member of the bands Tenacious D and Trainwreck
- Sir Michael David Irving Gass (1916-1983), Colonial Secretary of Hong Kong from 1965 - 1969
- Patrick Gass, Sergeant in the Lewis and Clark Expedition
- A J Gass (b. 1975), Canadian CFL football player
- Donald M. Gass M.D., Ophthalmology pioneer in retinal diseases
- Melbourne Gass, Canadian politician
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- Moncrieffe, Sir Ian of That Ilk and Don Pottinger. Clan Map Scotland of Old. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1983. Print.
- Holt, J.C. Ed. Domesday Studies. Woodbridge: Boydell, 1987. Print. (ISBN 0-85115-477-8).
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Leyburn, James Graham. The Scotch-Irish A Social History. Chapel Hill: UNC Press, 1962. Print. (ISBN 0807842591).
- Dorward, David. Scottish Surnames. Glasgow: Harper Collins, 1995. Print.
- Adam, Frank. Clans Septs and Regiments of the Scottish Highlands 8th Edition. London: Bacon (G.W.) & Co, 1970. Print. (ISBN 10-0717945006).
- Fairbairn,. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Bloxham, Ben. Key to Parochial Registers of Scotland From Earliest Times Through 1854 2nd edition. Provo, UT: Stevenson's Genealogical Center, 1979. Print.
- Warner, Philip Warner. Famous Scottish Battles. New York: Barnes and Noble, 1996. Print. (ISBN 0-76070-004-4).
The Gass Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Gass Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 29 March 2012 at 18:38.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!