BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the Irish Garvey family come from? What is the Irish Garvey family crest and coat of arms? When did the Garvey family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Garvey family history?Today's Irish surnames are underpinned by a multitude of rich histories. The name Garvey originally appeared in Gaelic as O Gairbhin, derived from the word "garbh," which means "rough."
Spelling variations of this family name include: Garvin, Garvey, Garwin, Garvine, Garven, Garvan, Garvy, Garvie, Garwen and many more.
First found in County Tyrone (Irish:Tír Eoghain), the ancient territory of the O'Neills, now in the Province of Ulster, central Northern Ireland, where they held a family seat from very ancient times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Garvey research. Another 269 words(19 lines of text) covering the year 1000 is included under the topic Early Garvey History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Garvey Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Garvey Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- James Garvey, who landed in Virginia in 1654
- James Garvey who settled in Virginia in 1680
Garvey Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Matthew Garvey, who arrived in New York in 1801
- Peter Garvey, aged 28, arrived in New York in 1812
- John Garvey, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1829
- Edward C K Garvey, who landed in New York in 1839
- Ellen Garvey, who settled in Boston Massachusetts in 1849
- Dan Edward Garvey (1886-1974), American politician, Governor of Arizona (1948-1951)
- Steven Patrick Garvey (b. 1948), American Major League Baseball player, nicknamed "Mr. Clean"
- Jane Garvey (b. 1944), American head of the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration from 1997 to 2002
- Cyndy Garvey (b. 1949), née Truhan, an American television personality and former wife of baseball player Steve Garvey
- Edward R. "Ed" Garvey, American lawyer, politician and activist
- Edmund Garvey (1740-1813), Irish painter
- Sir Terence Garvey, Irish diplomat, who served as British Ambassador to Mongolia, Yugoslavia, and the U.S.S.R (1973-76)
- Raymond Michael "Rea" Garvey (b. 1973), Irish singer-songwriter
- Mike Garvey (b. 1962), NASCAR Nextel Cup driver
- Marcel Garvey (b. 1983), English rugby union player
- Grehan, Ida. Dictionary of Irish Family Names. Boulder: Roberts Rinehart, 1997. Print. (ISBN 1-57098-137-X).
- Bullock, L.G. Historical Map of Ireland. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1969. Print.
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1978. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Land Owners in Ireland. Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1203-3).
- Tepper, Michael Ed & Elizabeth P. Bentley Transcriber. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of Philadelphia 1800-1819. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1986. Print.
- McDonnell, Frances. Emigrants from Ireland to America 1735-1743 A Transcription of the report of the Irish House of Commons into Enforced emigration to America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1331-5).
- Woodham-Smith, Cecil. The Great Hunger Ireland 1845-1849. New York: Old Town Books, 1962. Print. (ISBN 0-88029-385-3).
- MacLysaght, Edward. Irish Families Their Names, Arms and Origins 4th Edition. Dublin: Irish Academic, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-7165-2364-7).
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
The Garvey Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Garvey Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 23 June 2014 at 21:09.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is