BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the Irish Gannon family come from? What is the Irish Gannon family crest and coat of arms? When did the Gannon family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Gannon family history?Hundreds of years ago, the Gaelic name used by the Gannon family in Ireland was Mag Fhionnain, derived from the word "fionn," which means "fair."
Those scribes in Ireland during the Middle Ages recorded names as they sounded. Consequently, in this era many people were recorded under different spellings each time their name was written down. Research on the Gannon family name revealed numerous spelling variations, including Gannon, Ganon and others.
First found in County Mayo (Irish: Maigh Eo) located on the West coast of the Republic of Ireland in the province of Connacht, where they held a family seat from ancient times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Gannon research. Another 199 words(14 lines of text) covering the year 1798 is included under the topic Early Gannon History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Gannon Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Thousands of Irish families left for North American shores in the 19th century. These people were searching for a life unencumbered with poverty, hunger, and racial discrimination. Many arrived to eventually find such conditions, but many others simply did not arrive: victims of the diseased, overcrowded ships in which they traveled to the New World. Those who lived to see North American shores were instrumental in the development of the growing nations of Canada and the United States. A thorough examination of passenger and immigration lists has disclosed evidence of many early immigrants of the name Gannon:
Gannon Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- James Gannon, who arrived in America in 1798
Gannon Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- William R Gannon, aged 29, arrived in New York in 1812
- Thomas Gannon, who landed in New York in 1837
- Michael Gannon, who arrived in Charleston, South Carolina in 1847
- John Gannon, who arrived in Maryland in 1849
- Rose Gannon, aged 17, arrived in New York, NY in 1850
- James Kimble "Kim" Gannon (1900-1974), American songwriter and lyricist
- John Mark Gannon (1877-1968), American clergyman, former archbishop of the Diocese of Erie, eponym of Gannon University
- Rich Gannon (b. 1965), National Football League quarterback of the Oakland Raiders in Super Bowl XXXVII
- Kelli Gannon (b. 1978), former field hockey midfield player from the United States
- Terry Gannon (b. 1963), American sportscaster for ESPN on ABC and ESPN
- Craig Gannon (b. 1966), English guitarist
- Jim Gannon (b. 1968), English Football Manager
- Jim Gannon (b. 1977), Australian professional rugby league player
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1978. Print.
- Fitzgerald, Thomas W. Ireland and Her People A Library of Irish Biography 5 Volumes. Chicago: Fitzgerald. Print.
- Woulfe, Rev. Patrick. Irish Names and Surnames Collected and Edited with Explanatory and Historical Notes. Kansas City: Genealogical Foundation, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-940134-403).
- McDonnell, Frances. Emigrants from Ireland to America 1735-1743 A Transcription of the report of the Irish House of Commons into Enforced emigration to America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1331-5).
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- MacLysaght, Edward. The Surnames of Ireland 3rd Edition. Dublin: Irish Academic, 1978. Print. (ISBN 0-7165-2278-0).
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
The Gannon Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Gannon Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 11 December 2013 at 14:49.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is