An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2013
Where did the Scottish Gammell family come from? What is the Scottish Gammell family crest and coat of arms? When did the Gammell family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Gammell family history?The name Gammell was derived from the Middle English word "Gamel" which meant the "old one." Gamel was a fairly popular personal name in Scotland particularly in Ayrshire. "Gemell" is also derived from the Italian word for "twins" and it if from this source that heralds derived the ordinary "bars-gemel" which de Picts "twin" bars or a pair of two barrulets, placed close together, referred to as one bar-gemel. Bars gemel were awarded for acts of particular bravery in times of war.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Gemmell, Gemel, Gemell, Gemmel, Gemmill and others.
First found in Ayrshire, where one of the first records of the name was Gamel or Gamellus who witnessed charters by Richard, bishop of St. Andrews c. 1173. The same person witnessed a charter by Roger, bishop elect of St. Andrews relating to the church of Haddington c. 1189-1198.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Gammell research. Another 115 words(8 lines of text) covering the years 1250, 1600 and 1173 are included under the topic Early Gammell History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Gammell Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Gammell Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
Gammell Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
The Gammell Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Gammell Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 6 May 2013 at 09:07.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.