100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2013
Origins Available: Dutch, English
Where did the Dutch Freeland family come from? What is the Dutch Freeland family crest and coat of arms? When did the Freeland family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Freeland family history?The distinguished surname Freeland is Dutch in origin. It is most likely derived from the place name "Vreeland," which is itself derived from the Middle Dutch word "vrede," meaning "legal protection against armed violence." Thus, the town of Vreeland was probably located in an area protected by official restrictions on combat.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Vreeland, Van Vreeland, Freeland and others.
First found in Holland, where the city of Vreeland is located, approximately halfway between Amsterdam and Utrecht. It is likely that the initial bearer of the name was a resident of the town of Vreeland.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Freeland research. Another 287 words(20 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Freeland History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Freeland Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Freeland Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Richard Freeland, who arrived in Virginia in 1636
- William Freeland settled in Virginia in 1643
- William Freeland, who arrived in Massachusetts in 1650
- Robert Freeland, who landed in Maryland in 1669
- Isaac Freeland, who arrived in Maryland in 1677
Freeland Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Edward Freeland, who arrived in Virginia in 1701
- Thomas Freeland who settled in New Hampshire in 1718
Freeland Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Wm Freeland, who arrived in New York, NY in 1811
- Tennant Freeland settled in Philadelphia in 1817
- Mr. Freeland, who arrived in Mobile, Ala in 1822
- James Freeland, who landed in New York, NY in 1846
- S Freeland, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1850
- Ewing Young "Big 'un" Freeland (1887-1953), American football and baseball player and coach
- Thornton Freeland (1898-1987), American film director who directed 26 British and American films
- Don Freeland (1925-2007), American racecar driver
- Adam Freeland (b. 1973), English record producer and DJ
- Alan Freeland (b. 1961), former Scottish football referee
- Joel Freeland (b. 1987), British professional basketball player
- Chrystia Freeland (b. 1968), Canadian Global Editor-at-Large of Reuters (2010)
- Lieutenant-General Sir Ian Henry Freeland GBE KCB DSO DL (1912-1979), British Army officer, who most notably served as Army General Officer Commanding and Director of Operations in security matters in Northern Ireland
- Freeland History: Being a Genealogical Record of the Descendants of Mary (Pollock) Freeland of Carlisle, Pennsylvania, 1746-1971 by Harry A. Focht.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Rupp, Daniel L. A Collection of Upwards of Thirty Thousand Names of German, Swiss, Dutch, French and Other Immigrants to Pennsylvania from 1727 to 1776. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 2000. Print. (ISBN 978-0806303024).
- Kneschke, Dr. Ernest Heinrich. Neues allgemeines Deutsches Adels-Lexicon 9 Volumes New General German Aristocracy Lexicon. Leipzig: Friedrich Voigt, 1859. Print.
- Tapper, Michael Ed. Immigrants to the Middle Colonies A Consolidation of Ship Passenger Lists and Associated Data from The New York Genealogical Biographical Record. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Siebmacher, J.J. Siebmachers Wappenbuch. München: 1975. Print.
- Tobler-Meyer, Wilhelm. Familiennamen der Ostschweiz. Zürich: 1894. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Bayerisch Stammenbuch von den alten abgestorbenen Fuerten. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
The Freeland Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Freeland Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 2 June 2012 at 16:33.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!