100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Origins Available: German-Alt, German, Irish
Where did the Irish Fraley family come from? When did the Fraley family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Fraley family history?The Fraley surname comes from the Irish Gaelic name O Fearghail, which means "man of valor."
Individual scribes in the Ireland during the Middle Ages would often record a person's name various ways. How the name was recorded depended on what that particular scribe believed the proper spelling for the name pronounced to him was. Spelling variations revealed in the search for the origin of the Fraley family name include Ferrell, Farrell, O'Ferrall, O'Farrell, Farrelly, Fraleigh, Frawley, Frahill and many more.
First found in Leinster, where they were found mainly in County Longford.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Fraley research. Another 319 words(23 lines of text) covering the years 1235 and 1248 are included under the topic Early Fraley History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Fraley Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
The English-ruled Ireland of the late 18th and 19th centuries featured a rapidly increasing population and an agricultural-based economy. This combination proved to be disastrous in the 1840s after a couple of failed potato harvests. Thousands died of disease and starvation, and thousands more left the country, often bound for North America. Those that survived the journey to North America were put to work building the bridges, canals, roadways, and railways needed for the development of an industrial society. Those Irish, although often despised by those already established in North American cities and towns, played an instrumental role in making Canada and the United States the powerful and wealthy nations that they are today. An examination of early immigration and passenger lists has shown many immigrants bearing the name Fraley:
Fraley Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Alexdr Fraley, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1727
- Frederick Fraley, who was naturalized in North Carolina in 1766
- Frederick Fraley, who arrived in North Carolina in 1766
- John Fraley, whose Oath of Allegiance was recorded in Pennsylvania in 1777
- John Fraley went to Pennsylvania in 1777
Fraley Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Maria Fraley went to Philadelphia in 1804
- Jeremiah Fraley, aged 30, landed in New York, NY in 1846
- Thos. Fraley immigrated to New Orleans in 1850
- Patrick Fraley settled in Fairfield Co. Ohio in 1856
- Christian Fraley, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1865
- Robert T Fraley, American who received the 1998 National Medal of Technology as part of a team who pioneered achievements in plant biology and agricultural biotechnology, and was Co-President of the agricultural sector
- Patrick "Pat" Fraley (b. 1949), American voice actor
- Henry "Hank" F. Fraley (b. 1977), American football offensive lineman
- Oscar Fraley (1914-1994), American co-author, with Eliot Ness, of the famous American memoir The Untouchables
- Frederick Fraley (1804-1901), American businessman, politician, and civic leader
- Bradford Fraley (1878-1942), American Olympic fencer
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- O'Hart, John. Irish Pedigress 5th Edition in 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0737-4).
- Donovan, George Francis. The Pre-Revolutionary Irish in Massachusetts 1620-1775. Menasha, WI: Geroge Banta Publsihing Co., 1932. Print.
- Tepper, Michael Ed & Elizabeth P. Bentley Transcriber. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of Philadelphia 1800-1819. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1986. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1978. Print.
- Read, Charles Anderson. The Cabinet of Irish Literature Selections from the Works of the Chief Poets, Orators and Prose Writers of Ireland 4 Volumes. London: Blackie and Son, 1884. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
This page was last modified on 29 February 2012 at 19:31.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!