BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Origins Available: English, French, Italian
Where did the English Fortune family come from? What is the English Fortune family crest and coat of arms? When did the Fortune family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Fortune family history?
The name Fortune, appeared in many references, and from time to time, the surname was spelt Fortune, Fortun and others.
First found in East Lothian in Roxburghshire where they held a family seat from ancient times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Fortune research. Another 213 words(15 lines of text) covering the years 1200 and 1296 are included under the topic Early Fortune History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Fortune Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Fortune family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. More information about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
The New World beckoned as many of the settlers in Ireland, known as the Scotch/Irish, became disenchanted. They sailed aboard the armada of sailing ships known as the "White Sails" which plied the stormy Atlantic. Some called them, less romantically, the "coffin ships." Amongst the early settlers who could be considered kinsmen of the Fortune family, or who bore a variation of the surname Fortune were
Fortune Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Eleanor Fortune, who arrived in Maryland in 1662
- john Fortune, who landed in Maryland in 1662
- Robert Fortune, who arrived in Maryland in 1669
Fortune Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Anthony Fortune who purchased land in Louisiana in 1721 and by the mid-1800's the Fortunes occupied territories in Pennsylvania, South Carolina, and San Francisco
- Henry Fortune, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1730
- Frantz Fortune, aged 26, arrived in Pennsylvania in 1737
- Michael Fortune, aged 22, arrived in Pennsylvania in 1737
- Malachi Fortune, aged 19, arrived in Pennsylvania in 1737
Fortune Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Patrick Fortune, who landed in New York, NY in 1816
- Martin Fortune, who landed in New York, NY in 1817
- James Fortune, who landed in St Clair County in 1857
- Thomas Fortune, who landed in St Clair County, Illinois in 1857
- Peter Fortune, American educator and historian
- Jesse Fortune (1930-2009), American Chicago blues singer
- Jimmy Fortune (b. 1955), American country music singer
- Rose Fortune (1774-1864), African-American Black Loyalist and businesswoman, first female police officer in Canada
- Scott Thomas Fortune (b. 1966), American Olympic gold medalist volleyball player
- Sonny Fortune (b. 1939), American jazz musician
- Timothy Thomas Fortune (1856-1928), one of the most prominent black journalists involved in the flourishing black press of the post-Civil War era
- Lorraine Fortune, Canadian management consultant and partner in Donald M. Fortune & Ass. Ltd who lives in Ontario, Canada
- Reo Franklin Fortune (1903-1979), New Zealand social anthropologist
- Dion Fortune (1890-1946), born Violet Mary Firth, British occultist and author
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Hitching, F.K and S. Hitching. References to English Surnames in 1601-1602. Walton On Thames: 1910. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0181-3).
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Bullock, L.G. Historical Map of England and Wales. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1971. Print.
- Virkus, Frederick A. Ed. Immigrant Ancestors A List of 2,500 Immigrants to America Before 1750. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1964. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
The Fortune Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Fortune Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 7 March 2014 at 13:41.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is