100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2013
Origins Available: French, German, Italian
Where did the French Fortin family come from? What is the French Fortin family crest and coat of arms? When did the Fortin family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Fortin family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Fortin, Forttin, Fortain, Forttain, Fortein, Forttein, Fortaing, Forttaing, Fortaine, Forttaine, Forting, Fortting, Forteins, Fortteins, Fortains, Forttains, Phortin, Phorttin, Phortain, Phorttain, Phortein, Phorttein, Phortaing, Phorttaing, Phortaine, Phorttaine, Phorting, Phortting, Phorteins, Phortteins, Phortains and many more.
First found in Orleans, where they held a family seat at De Fortan, a village in the department of Loire, in the arrondisement of Vendome.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Fortin research. Another 161 words(12 lines of text) covering the years 1590, 1621, and 1817 are included under the topic Early Fortin History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Fortin Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Fortin Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- François Fortin, of the branch of the family in Brittany, who emigrated to New France in 1617
- Julien Fortin dit Bellefontaine, of Maine arrived in New France in 1649
- Louis Fortin, who arrived from Normandy in New France in 1672
- Robert Fortin, who landed in Maryland in 1675
Fortin Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Marin Fortin, of the branch of the family in Maine, who settled in New France in 1719
- Anne Fortin, who came to Boston in 1763
- Julien Fortin, who arrived in Massachusetts in 1763
Fortin Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- John Fortin aged 25, who settled in New York in 1822
- Samuel Fortin, who settled in Philadelphia in 1842
- F. Fortin, who settled in San Francisco in 1853
- Robert Fortin, who settled in Philadelphia in 1871
- Desiree Fortin, aged 21, who landed in America, in 1895
Fortin Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- Emelie Fortin, aged 28, who settled in America, in 1907
- Gustave Fortin, aged 42, who settled in America from Paris, France, in 1911
- Arturo Fortin, aged 18, who landed in America from Colwyn Bay, North Wales, in 1913
- Baptiste Fortin, aged 20, who emigrated to America, in 1918
- Damion T. Fortin, aged 51, who emigrated to the United States, in 1918
- Jean Fortin, American writer
- Major-General Louis-Alexandre-Fernand Fortin (1889-1949), French General in World War II
- Jean-Francois Fortin (b. 1979), Canadian professional NHL hockey player from Laval, Quebec
- André-Gilles Fortin (1943-1977), Canadian politician in the 1970s
- André "Dédé" Fortin (1962-2000), leader and singer of the Québec band Les Colocs and an important figure in the history of Quebec music
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Annuaire Général Héraldique Universel. Paris: Institut Héraldique, 1901. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- De Ville, Winston. Gulf Coast Colonials, A Compendium of French Families in Early Eighteenth Century Louisiana. Baltimore, MD: Clearfield, 1999. Print.
- D'Hozier Charles. Armorial Général de France. Paris: Dillon, 1875. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
The Fortin Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Fortin Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 4 April 2013 at 11:44.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!