100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the German Flesch family come from? What is the German Flesch family crest and coat of arms? When did the Flesch family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Flesch family history?The German name Flesch and its variants has most likely evolved from the Low German word "flesch," which means "meat." It may have been an occupational name for a butcher, or it may have evolved from a nickname.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Fletsche, Fletscher, Fletschner, Fleschner, Flesche, Flesch, Pflöschner, Flaschel and many more.
First found in Swabia, where it is thought to have first emerged. The first known bearer of the name was Johann Flesche, who was a resident of Rappoltsweiler, Alsace in 1389. The young Flesch family played a major role in the early history of the region, and contributed greatly to the development of medieval Swabian society.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Flesch research. Another 176 words(13 lines of text) covering the years 1389, 1494, 1538, 1798, 1809, 1812, 1832, and 1876 are included under the topic Early Flesch History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 42 words(3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Flesch Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Flesch Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- John Flesch was naturalized in Missouri in 1848
- William Flesch took an oath of allegiance in Philadelphia in 1856
- Anna Flesch immigrated to Indiana in 1867
- Franz Flesch, aged 40, who settled in America, in 1892
- F. Flesch, aged 40, who landed in America, in 1894
Flesch Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- Augustine Flesch, aged 27, who settled in America from Nagenan, Germany, in 1908
- Jakob Flesch, aged 25, who settled in America from Hamburg, Germany, in 1909
- Anna Flesch, aged 31, who landed in America from Paripas, Hungary, in 1910
- Aladar Flesch, aged 16, who landed in America, in 1910
- Berthold Flesch, aged 37, who landed in America, in 1910
- Karl Flesch (1873-1944), Hungarian-German violin virtuoso
- Ella Flesch (1900-1957), well-known Austrian singer
- Stephen Alexander Flesch (b. 1942), South African author
- Siegfried "Fritz" Flesch (1872-1939), Austrian Olympic saber fencer
- Fogleman, Aaron Spencer. Journeys German Immigration, Settlement and Political Culture in Colonial America 1717-1775. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1986. Print. (ISBN 978-0812215489).
- Oswald, G. Lexicon der Heraldik. Leipzig: 1984. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Garland, Mary and Henry Garland Editions. Oxford Companion To German Literature 3rd Edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1997. Print. (ISBN 0198158963).
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Fogleman, Aaron Spencer. Hopeful Journeys German Immigration, Settlement, and Political Culture in Colonial America 1717-1775. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1986. Print. (ISBN 978-0812215489).
- Karlsruhe. Badisches Generallandesarchiv Baden Emigration lists 1866-1911. Salt Lake City: Microfilm of Card Index by the Genealogical Society of Utah. Print.
- Haverkamp, Alfred. Medieval Germany 1056-1273 2nd edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print.
- Göbel, Otto. Niederdeutsche Familiennamen der Gegenwart Wolfshagen-Schäbentz. Franz: Westphal, 1936. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans (Edda Gentry trns). Dictionary of German Names . Madison, Wisconsin: Max Kade Institute, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-924119-35-7).
The Flesch Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Flesch Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 4 November 2011 at 08:37.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!