100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Origins Available: Irish, Scottish
Where did the Scottish Fennessy family come from? What is the Scottish Fennessy family crest and coat of arms? When did the Fennessy family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Fennessy family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Leydon, Leidden, Leyden, Leidon, Lethen, Lethane and others.
First found in Aberdeenshire, where they held a family seat from very early times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Fennessy research. Another 193 words(14 lines of text) covering the years 1335, 1517, 1526, 1546, 1679, and 1811 are included under the topic Early Fennessy History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Fennessy Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Fennessy family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 226 words(16 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Fennessy Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Michael Fennessy settled in Massachusetts in 1852
- Mary Fennessy arrived in New York, NY in 1855
- Patrick Fennessy, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1879
- David Fennessy, aged 26, who emigrated to America from Dublin, in 1892
- Ellen Fennessy, aged 30, who emigrated to the United States from Ireland, in 1893
Fennessy Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- James Fennessy, aged 25, who emigrated to America from Cork, in 1904
- David Fennessy, aged 32, who landed in America from Newcastle, Tipperary, Ireland, in 1907
- Delia Fennessy, aged 17, who emigrated to the United States from Nenagh, Ireland, in 1907
- Denis Fennessy, aged 19, who landed in America from Nenagh, Ireland, in 1907
- Jeremiah Fennessy, aged 22, who landed in America from Lismore, Ireland, in 1908
- Edward "Ned" Fennessy (1912-2009), English electronics engineer who led developments of early radar systems, managing director of British Telecommunications Research
- Leo Michael Fennessy (1907-1992), Australian politician, born at Warrnambool
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Barrow, G.W.S Ed. The Charters of David I The Written Acts of David I King of Scots, 1124-53 and of His Son Henry, Earl of Northumerland, 1139-52. Woodbridge: The Boydell Press, 1999. Print.
- Scots Kith and Kin And Illustrated Map Revised 2nd Edition. Edinburgh: Clan House/Albyn. Print.
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Black, George F. The Surnames of Scotland Their Origin, Meaning and History. New York: New York Public Library, 1946. Print. (ISBN 0-87104-172-3).
- Le Patourel, John. The Norman Empire. New York: Oxford University Press, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-19-822525-3).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry Including American Families with British Ancestry 2 Volumes. London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Warner, Philip Warner. Famous Scottish Battles. New York: Barnes and Noble, 1996. Print. (ISBN 0-76070-004-4).
- Fulton, Alexander. Scotland and Her Tartans: The Romantic Heritage of the Scottish Clans and Families. Godalming: Bramley, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-86283-880-0).
The Fennessy Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Fennessy Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 13 November 2012 at 08:06.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!