100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Origins Available: Irish, Scottish
Where did the Scottish Fennessy family come from? What is the Scottish Fennessy family crest and coat of arms? When did the Fennessy family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Fennessy family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Leydon, Leidden, Leyden, Leidon, Lethen, Lethane and others.
First found in Aberdeenshire (Gaelic: Siorrachd Obar Dheathain), a historic county, and present day Council Area of Aberdeen, located in the Grampian region of northeastern Scotland, where they held a family seat from very early times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Fennessy research. Another 193 words(14 lines of text) covering the years 1335, 1517, 1526, 1546, 1679, and 1811 are included under the topic Early Fennessy History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Fennessy Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Fennessy family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 226 words(16 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Fennessy Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Michael Fennessy settled in Massachusetts in 1852
- Mary Fennessy arrived in New York, NY in 1855
- Patrick Fennessy, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1879
- David Fennessy, aged 26, who emigrated to America from Dublin, in 1892
- Ellen Fennessy, aged 30, who emigrated to the United States from Ireland, in 1893
Fennessy Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- James Fennessy, aged 25, who emigrated to America from Cork, in 1904
- David Fennessy, aged 32, who landed in America from Newcastle, Tipperary, Ireland, in 1907
- Delia Fennessy, aged 17, who emigrated to the United States from Nenagh, Ireland, in 1907
- Denis Fennessy, aged 19, who landed in America from Nenagh, Ireland, in 1907
- Jeremiah Fennessy, aged 22, who landed in America from Lismore, Ireland, in 1908
- Edward "Ned" Fennessy (1912-2009), English electronics engineer who led developments of early radar systems, managing director of British Telecommunications Research
- Leo Michael Fennessy (1907-1992), Australian politician, born at Warrnambool
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- Paul, Sir James Balfour. An Ordinary of Arms Contained in the Public Register of All Arms and Bearings in Scotland Second Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1903. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Bloxham, Ben. Key to Parochial Registers of Scotland From Earliest Times Through 1854 2nd edition. Provo, UT: Stevenson's Genealogical Center, 1979. Print.
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Fulton, Alexander. Scotland and Her Tartans: The Romantic Heritage of the Scottish Clans and Families. Godalming: Bramley, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-86283-880-0).
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Moncrieffe, Sir Ian of That Ilk and Don Pottinger. Clan Map Scotland of Old. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1983. Print.
- Fairbairn,. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
The Fennessy Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Fennessy Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 13 November 2012 at 08:06.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!