BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Origins Available: Irish, Scottish
Where did the Scottish Fennessy family come from? What is the Scottish Fennessy family crest and coat of arms? When did the Fennessy family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Fennessy family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Leydon, Leidden, Leyden, Leidon, Lethen, Lethane and others.
First found in Aberdeenshire (Gaelic: Siorrachd Obar Dheathain), a historic county, and present day Council Area of Aberdeen, located in the Grampian region of northeastern Scotland, where they held a family seat from very early times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Fennessy research. Another 193 words(14 lines of text) covering the years 1335, 1517, 1526, 1546, 1679, and 1811 are included under the topic Early Fennessy History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Fennessy Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Fennessy family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 226 words(16 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Fennessy Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Michael Fennessy settled in Massachusetts in 1852
- Mary Fennessy arrived in New York, NY in 1855
- Patrick Fennessy, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1879
- David Fennessy, aged 26, who emigrated to America from Dublin, in 1892
- Ellen Fennessy, aged 30, who emigrated to the United States from Ireland, in 1893
Fennessy Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- James Fennessy, aged 25, who emigrated to America from Cork, in 1904
- David Fennessy, aged 32, who landed in America from Newcastle, Tipperary, Ireland, in 1907
- Delia Fennessy, aged 17, who emigrated to the United States from Nenagh, Ireland, in 1907
- Denis Fennessy, aged 19, who landed in America from Nenagh, Ireland, in 1907
- Jeremiah Fennessy, aged 22, who landed in America from Lismore, Ireland, in 1908
- Edward "Ned" Fennessy (1912-2009), English electronics engineer who led developments of early radar systems, managing director of British Telecommunications Research
- Leo Michael Fennessy (1907-1992), Australian politician, born at Warrnambool
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1970. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Leyburn, James Graham. The Scotch-Irish A Social History. Chapel Hill: UNC Press, 1962. Print. (ISBN 0807842591).
- Urquhart, Blair Edition. Tartans The New Compact Study Guide and Identifier. Secauccus, NJ: Chartwell Books, 1994. Print. (ISBN 0-7858-0050-6).
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Scotch Irish Pioneers In Ulster and America. Montana: Kessinger Publishing. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
The Fennessy Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Fennessy Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 13 November 2012 at 08:06.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is