BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the Scottish Fell family come from? What is the Scottish Fell family crest and coat of arms? When did the Fell family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Fell family history?The name was derived from the place named Fell in Cumberland which in turn was derived from the Icelandic name "fell" which meant a "fell or wild hill."
Spelling variations of this family name include: Fell, Fells and others.
First found in Dundee where one of the most interesting references of the name was of Finlay Fell, butcher and later burgess in 1533. He was the first of a long list of butchers within the same family which held the profession for more than a century.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Fell research. Another 145 words(10 lines of text) covering the years 1200, 1584, 1649, 1598, 1658, 1625, 1686, 1700, 1614 and 1702 are included under the topic Early Fell History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 171 words(12 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Fell Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
- Robert Fell settled in New Orleans, LA
Fell Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Henry Fell, who landed in Virginia in 1622
- Henry Fell settled in Virginia in 1623
- Thomas Fell settled in Maine in 1624
- William Fell, who landed in Virginia in 1654
- Edward Fell, who landed in Maryland in 1659
Fell Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Mary Fell settled in Jamaica in 1716
- Johan Peter Fell, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1748
- Casper Fell, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1752
- Margaretha Fell, who landed in America in 1754
Fell Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Christopher Fell, who arrived in New York, NY in 1817
- Caspar, Charles, Henry, James, John, Mary, Phillip, Richard, Robert, and Thomas Fell all arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania between 1804 and 1850
- Nancy A Fell, who arrived in New York in 1850
- Mr. Fell, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851
- Magdalena Fell, aged 24, landed in New York, NY in 1852
- Norman Fell (1924-1998), American film and television actor, most famous for his role as landlord Mr. Roper on the sitcom Three's Company
- Jesse W Fell (1808-1887), Illinois businessman, founder Illinois State University
- Anthony Fell, British Conservative Member of Parliament for Great Yarmouth
- Charles Fell, Insurance Co. President
- Dame Honor Fell, Medical Research
- Robert Fell, Chief Executive Stock Exchange
- Sheila Fell, Artist
- Captain William Fell, Salvage Expert, and many more
- Jehn Fell (1625-1686), Anglican divine
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Barrow, G.W.S Ed. Acts of Malcom IV 1153-65 Volume I Regesta Regum Scottorum 1153-1424. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, 1960. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Donaldson, Gordon and Robert S. Morpeth. Who's Who In Scotish History. Wales: Welsh Academic Press, 1996. Print. (ISBN 186057-0054).
- Le Patourel, John. The Norman Empire. New York: Oxford University Press, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-19-822525-3).
- Dorward, David. Scottish Surnames. Glasgow: Harper Collins, 1995. Print.
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Holt, J.C. Ed. Domesday Studies. Woodbridge: Boydell, 1987. Print. (ISBN 0-85115-477-8).
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. Socts Heraldry A Practical Handbook on the Historical Principles and Modern Application of the Art of Science. London: Oliver and Boyd, 1934. Print.
The Fell Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Fell Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 1 July 2014 at 15:20.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is