BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Origins Available: German, Scottish
Where did the German Turk family come from? What is the German Turk family crest and coat of arms? When did the Turk family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Turk family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Turcke, Turck, Turcke, Turk, Turke, Tuerck, Tuercke and many more.
First found in Silesia, where the name came from humble beginnings but acquired a significant reputation for its contribution to the emerging mediaeval society. It later became more prominent as many branches of the same house acquired distant estates and branches, some in foreign countries, always elevating their social status by their great contributions to society.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Turk research. Another 236 words(17 lines of text) covering the years 1654, 1798, and 1846 are included under the topic Early Turk History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 49 words(4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Turk Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Turk Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Isaac Turk, who landed in New York, NY in 1708
- Robert Turk, who landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1739
- Fredrick Turk, aged 29, arrived in Pennsylvania in 1753
Turk Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Martin Turk, who landed in America in 1850
- Nik Turk, who arrived in America in 1850
- Agnese Turk, who arrived in America in 1850
- T Turk, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851
- Christian Turk, who landed in America in 1855
Turk Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- John Paul Turk, who arrived in Alabama in 1920
- Arthur Turk (b. 1938), prominent American physician and biomedical engineer
- Roy Kenneth Turk (1892-1934), American songwriter
- Matthew Edward Turk (b. 1968), American football punter
- Daniel Anthony Turk (1962-2000), American football center
- Clyde Turk (1907-1995), American jockey and trainer of Thoroughbred racehorses
- John Turk (b. 1962), American model, bodybuilder, personal trainer, former Chicago police officer, and actor
- Tommy Turk (1927-1981), American jazz trombonist
- Godwin Lee Turk (b. 1950), former American football linebacker
- Gordon Turk, prominent American concert organist
- Brian D. Turk, American actor
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Jones, George F. The Germans of Colonial Georgia 1733-1783 Revised edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0806311614).
- Oswald, G. Lexicon der Heraldik. Leipzig: 1984. Print.
- Zoder, Rudolf. Familiennamen in Ostfalen. Hildesheim: Geog Olms Verlagsbuchhandlung, 1968. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Bahlow, Hans. Deutschlands geographische Namenwelt Etymologisches Lexikon der Fluss- und Ortsnamen alteuropaischer Herkunft. Frankfurt: Suhrkamp, 1985. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans (Edda Gentry trns). Dictionary of German Names . Madison, Wisconsin: Max Kade Institute, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-924119-35-7).
The Turk Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Turk Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 13 February 2013 at 07:35.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is