100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the English Spratt family come from? What is the English Spratt family crest and coat of arms? When did the Spratt family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Spratt family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Spratt, Spratte, Sprat, Sprett, Spret, Sprott and others.
First found in Dorset where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Spratt research. Another 229 words(16 lines of text) covering the years 1086, 1639, 1765, 1600, 1987, 1635, 1713, 1684, 1713 and are included under the topic Early Spratt History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 113 words(8 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Spratt Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Spratt family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 101 words(7 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Spratt Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Thomas Spratt settled in Virginia in 1635
- Mary Spratt settled in New England in 1635
- Tho Spratt, aged 23, landed in Virginia in 1635
- Charles Spratt, who arrived in Virginia in 1651
- John Spratt, who arrived in Maryland in 1660
Spratt Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Thos Spratt, aged 50, landed in New York, NY in 1803
- William Spratt, who arrived in New York, NY in 1811
- Hugh Spratt, who arrived in New York, NY in 1811
- James Spratt, aged 20, arrived in New York in 1812
- Andrew Spratt, who landed in New York, NY in 1815
- John McKee Spratt Jr. (b. 1942), American politician, Democratic member of the United States House of Representatives
- James Spratt (d. 1880), American electrician and lightning rod salesman from Cincinnati, Ohio who was the first person to manufacture dog biscuits, founder of Spratt's in London, England c. 1860
- Henry Lee Spratt (1888-1969), American Major League Baseball player
- George A. Spratt (1870-1934), American inventor and early aircraft designer
- Thomas Abel Brimage Spratt (1811-1888), English vice-admiral, hydrographer and geologist, best known for his "Spratt's Map" used by archaeologists and contributed to the discovery of Troy
- Isaac Spratt (1799-1876), English toy dealer in London who wrote pamphlets and rule books about croquet and badminton
- Walter Spratt (b. 1892), English footballer
- Jimmy Spratt, contemporary Unionist politician from Northern Ireland
- John M Spratt, American lawyer and director of the Bank of York and 1st Federal Savings & Loan, South Carolina
- Jonathan Spratt (b. 1986), Welsh international rugby union player
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Thirsk, Joan. The Agrarian History of England and Wales. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press: 7 Volumes. Print.
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Marcharn, Frederick George. A Constitutional History of Modern England 1485 to the Present. London: Harper and Brothers, 1960. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Foster, Joseph. Dictionary of Heraldry Feudal Coats of Arms and Pedigrees. London: Bracken Books, 1989. Print. (ISBN 1-85170-309-8).
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
The Spratt Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Spratt Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 6 October 2014 at 11:05.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!