BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the English Spratt family come from? What is the English Spratt family crest and coat of arms? When did the Spratt family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Spratt family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Spratt, Spratte, Sprat, Sprett, Spret and others.
First found in Dorset where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Spratt research. Another 159 words(11 lines of text) covering the years 1086, 1635, 1713, 1684, 1713 and are included under the topic Early Spratt History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 37 words(3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Spratt Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Spratt family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 101 words(7 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Spratt Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Thomas Spratt settled in Virginia in 1635
- Mary Spratt settled in New England in 1635
- Tho Spratt, aged 23, landed in Virginia in 1635
- Charles Spratt, who arrived in Virginia in 1651
- John Spratt, who arrived in Maryland in 1660
Spratt Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Thos Spratt, aged 50, landed in New York, NY in 1803
- William Spratt, who arrived in New York, NY in 1811
- Hugh Spratt, who arrived in New York, NY in 1811
- James Spratt, aged 20, arrived in New York in 1812
- Andrew Spratt, who landed in New York, NY in 1815
- John McKee Spratt Jr. (b. 1942), American politician, Democratic member of the United States House of Representatives
- James Spratt (d. 1880), American electrician and lightning rod salesman from Cincinnati, Ohio who was the first person to manufacture dog biscuits, founder of Spratt's in London, England c. 1860
- Henry Lee Spratt (1888-1969), American Major League Baseball player
- George A. Spratt (1870-1934), American inventor and early aircraft designer
- Thomas Abel Brimage Spratt (1811-1888), English vice-admiral, hydrographer and geologist
- Isaac Spratt (1799-1876), English toy dealer in London who wrote pamphlets and rule books about croquet and badminton
- Walter Spratt (b. 1892), English footballer
- Jimmy Spratt, contemporary Unionist politician from Northern Ireland
- John M Spratt, American lawyer and director of the Bank of York and 1st Federal Savings & Loan, South Carolina
- Jonathan Spratt (b. 1986), Welsh international rugby union player
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
- MacAulay, Thomas Babington. History of England from the Accession of James the Second 4 volumes. New York: Harper and Brothers, 1879. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- Elster, Robert J. International Who's Who. London: Europa/Routledge. Print.
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Mills, A.D. Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4).
- Cook, Chris. English Historical Facts 1603-1688. London: MacMillan, 1980. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
The Spratt Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Spratt Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 21 August 2014 at 16:27.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is