100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the Scottish Skelton family come from? What is the Scottish Skelton family crest and coat of arms? When did the Skelton family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Skelton family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Skelton, Skeldon and others.
First found in Cumberland, where they held a family seat from very ancient times, as Lords of the manor of Skelton, before the Norman Conquest and arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D. By the 11th century they had acquired Armathwaite Castle in that same shire, and later branched to Branthwaite and High House in that shire.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Skelton research. Another 165 words(12 lines of text) covering the years 1379, 1460, 1529, 1641, 1696, 1672, 1674, 1691 and 1890 are included under the topic Early Skelton History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 83 words(6 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Skelton Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Skelton family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 169 words(12 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Skelton Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Samuel Skelton settled in Salem Massachusetts with Susannah in 1629
- Samuel Skelton, who landed in Salem, Massachusetts in 1629
- Benjamin Skelton, who arrived in Salem, Massachusetts in 1639
- Nathaniel Skelton, who landed in Salem, Massachusetts in 1648
- Richard Skelton, who arrived in Maryland in 1665
Skelton Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Thomas Skelton, who arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1716
- Ralph Skelton arrived in Jamaica in 1775
Skelton Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Mr. Skelton, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1850
- Henry Skelton, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1867
- William Skelton, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1878
- Frank Skelton, who landed in Hancock County, Miss in 1888
- Richard Bernard "Red" Skelton (1913-1997), American comedian, top radio and television star from 1937 to 1971, eponym of the Red Skelton Bridge and the Red Skelton Performing Arts Center, he received an Lifetime Achievement Award from the Screen Actors Guild in 1987
- Charles Skelton (1806-1879), American Democratic Party politician
- Isaac Newton "Ike" Skelton IV (1931-2013), American politician, Member of the U.S. House of Representatives (1977-2011)
- Matt Skelton (b. 1967), British boxer
- Raleigh "Peter" Ashlin Skelton (1906-1970), English cartographer who attempted to prove the Vinland map
- Reginald William Skelton (1872-1956), Chief Engineer and Official Photographer of the 1901-1904 Discovery Expedition to Antarctica
- Roy Skelton (b. 1932), British actor
- Nicholas David "Nick" Skelton OBE (b. 1957), English five-time gold, seven-time silver and bronze medalist equestrian
- Lt. Reginald W. Skelton, British Royal Navy chief engineer of the expedition's ship RRS Discovery, eponym of Skelton Inlet and Skelton Glacier, Antarctica
- Gavin Richard Skelton (b. 1981), English footballer
- Nine Generations of the Skelton Family by Zenobia Bell Callahan.
- Rogers-Skelton and Allied Families by Helen Rogers Skelton.
- Adam, Frank. Clans Septs and Regiments of the Scottish Highlands 8th Edition. London: Bacon (G.W.) & Co, 1970. Print. (ISBN 10-0717945006).
- Bain, Robert. The Clans and Tartans of Scotland. Glasgow & London: Collins, 1968. Print. (ISBN 000411117-6).
- Scarlett, James D. Tartan The Highland Textile. London: Shepheard-Walwyn, 1990. Print. (ISBN 0-85683-120-4).
- Scots Kith and Kin And Illustrated Map Revised 2nd Edition. Edinburgh: Clan House/Albyn. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Leyburn, James Graham. The Scotch-Irish A Social History. Chapel Hill: UNC Press, 1962. Print. (ISBN 0807842591).
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Donaldson, Gordon and Robert S. Morpeth. Who's Who In Scotish History. Wales: Welsh Academic Press, 1996. Print. (ISBN 186057-0054).
- Fairbairn,. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
The Skelton Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Skelton Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 26 November 2013 at 16:18.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!