BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the Scottish Reedy family come from? What is the Scottish Reedy family crest and coat of arms? When did the Reedy family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Reedy family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Reddy, Reddie, Readdie, Reedie, Reidie and others.
First found in Angus (Gaelic: Aonghas), part of the Tayside region of northeastern Scotland, and present day Council Area of Angus, formerly known as Forfar or Forfarshire, where they held a family seat from early times and their first records appeared on the early census rolls taken by the early Kings of Britain to determine the rate of taxation of their subjects.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Reedy research. Another 153 words(11 lines of text) covering the year 1681 is included under the topic Early Reedy History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Reedy Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Reedy family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 232 words(17 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Reedy Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- James Reedy, who landed in Charleston, South Carolina in 1827
- Michael J Reedy, who arrived in New York, NY in 1851
- Dan Reedy, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851
- Bridget Reedy, aged 26, who landed in America from Queenstown, in 1892
Reedy Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- Catherine Reedy, aged 5, who emigrated to the United States from Liverpool, England, in 1907
- Ellen Reedy, aged 30, who landed in America from Liverpool, England, in 1907
- Hugh Reedy, aged 8, who settled in America from Liverpool, England, in 1907
- Edwin P. Reedy, aged 30, who landed in America, in 1910
- Bayard J. Reedy, aged 33, who settled in America, in 1911
- George Edward Reedy (1917-1999), White House Press Secretary from 1964 to 1965
- Charles "Chuck" Reedy (b. 1949), former American football player and coach in the United States
- Thomas E. Reedy (b. 1868), American politician
- Edward K. Reedy, American director of the Georgia Tech Research Institute (GTRI) from 1998 to 2003
- Rear Admiral James R. Reedy, United States Navy Commander, U.S. Naval Support Force, Antarctica, from November 1962 until April 1965, eponym of the Reedy Glacier
- Winston Reedy, Jamaican singer
- Paul Reedy (b. 1961), Australian silver medalist rower at the 1984 Summer Olympics
- Jamil Omar Hatem Abdulalem Jamil El Reedy (b. 1965), retired Egyptian alpine skier
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry Including American Families with British Ancestry 2 Volumes. London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. Scots Heraldry A Practical Handbook on the Historical Principles and Mordern Application of the Art and Science. London: Oliver and Boyd, 1934. Print.
- Bell, Robert. The Book of Ulster Surnames. Belfast: Blackstaff, 1988. Print. (ISBN 10-0856404160).
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
- Black, George F. The Surnames of Scotland Their Origin, Meaning and History. New York: New York Public Library, 1946. Print. (ISBN 0-87104-172-3).
The Reedy Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Reedy Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 26 June 2013 at 11:49.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is