100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2013
Where did the Scottish Rainey family come from? What is the Scottish Rainey family crest and coat of arms? When did the Rainey family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Rainey family history?Among the all the peoples of ancient Scotland, the first to use the name Rainey were the Strathclyde- Britons. It was a name for someone who lived in county of Angus.
The variation in the spelling of Medieval names is a result of the lack of spelling rules in the English language prior to the last few hundred years. Before that time, scribes spelled according to sound, often varying the spelling of name within a single document. Rainey has appeared as Rayney, Rainy, Rainey, Rainnie, Rennie, Renny and many more.
First found in Angus, where they held a family seat from early times and their first records appeared on the early census rolls taken by the early Kings of Britain to determine the rate of taxation of their subjects.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Rainey research. Another 174 words(12 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Rainey History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Rainey Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Rainey family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 124 words(9 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
As the persecution of Clan families continued, they sailed for North America in increasing numbers. In most cases, they found the freedom and opportunity they sought. Land was often available and the American War of Independence allowed Scots an opportunity to solidify their independence from the English crown. These settlers and their ancestors went on to play essential roles in the forging of the nations of the United States and Canada. Among them:
Rainey Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Johnston Rainey who settled in Charles Town [Charleston], South Carolina in 1763
- Elizabeth Rainey settled in Pennsylvania in 1773
Rainey Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Arthur Rainey, who landed in Barbados in 1803
- J Rainey, who landed in New York, NY in 1812
- James Rainey, who arrived in New York, NY in 1815
- Robert Rainey, aged 45, landed in New York, NY in 1822
- William B Rainey, who landed in Mobile, Ala in 1845
- Gertrude Malissa Nix Pridgett "Ma" Rainey (1886-1939), one of the earliest known American professional blues singers and one of the first generation of such singers to record
- Ford Rainey (1908-2005), American film, stage and television actor
- Henry Thomas Rainey (1860-1934), prominent U.S. politician
- Stephen Mark Rainey (b. 1959), American author of novels, short stories
- Wayne Rainey (b. 1960), American former Grand Prix motorcycle road racer
- Charles "Chuck" Rainey (b. 1954), American former Major League Baseball pitcher
- Charles "Chuck" Walter Rainey III (b. 1940), American bass guitar session musician
- Joseph Hayne Rainey (1832-1887), first African American to serve in the United States House of Representatives
- David Rainey (b. 1976), Northern Ireland footballer
- Middletown Upper Houses by Charles Collard Adams
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. Scots Heraldry A Practical Handbook on the Historical Principles and Mordern Application of the Art and Science. London: Oliver and Boyd, 1934. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
- Bell, Robert. The Book of Ulster Surnames. Belfast: Blackstaff, 1988. Print. (ISBN 10-0856404160).
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Markale, J. Celtic Civilization. London: Gordon & Cremonesi, 1976. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
The Rainey Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Rainey Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 9 February 2013 at 21:57.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!