BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the English Polkinghorne family come from? What is the English Polkinghorne family crest and coat of arms? When did the Polkinghorne family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Polkinghorne family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Polkinghorne, Polkingham, Polkinham and others.
First found in Cornwall where they held a family seat from early times and their first records appeared on the early census rolls taken by the early Kings of Britain to determine the rate of taxation of their subjects.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Polkinghorne research. Another 264 words(19 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Polkinghorne History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Polkinghorne Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: John Polkinham settled in Boston in 1767.
- James Polkinghorne (1788-1854), Cornish champion wrestler, best known for his match on 23 October 1826 against Abraham Cann of Colebrooke, champion of Devon
- Francis Polkinghorne Pascoe (1813-1893), English entomologist from Cornwall who was mainly interested in Coleoptera
- The Rev Dr John Polkinghorne KBE, FRS (b. 1930), British particle physicist and theologian, Professor of Mathematical physics at the University of Cambridge from 1968 to 1979
- Adam William Polkinghorne (b. 1975), Australian cricket player
- Clare Polkinghorne (b. 1989), Australian footballer, member of the Australian National Team (2006-), Brisbane Roar Captain (2007-)
- James Polkinghorne (b. 1989), Australian rules footballer for the Brisbane Lions in the Australian Football League
- David Polkinghorne (b. 1956), Australian rules footballer who played with Hawthorn in the VFL from 1975 to 1984
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin . Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Sanders, Joanne McRee Edition. English Settlers in Barbados 1637-1800. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Foster, Joseph. Dictionary of Heraldry Feudal Coats of Arms and Pedigrees. London: Bracken Books, 1989. Print. (ISBN 1-85170-309-8).
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
- Markale, J. Celtic Civilization. London: Gordon & Cremonesi, 1976. Print.
- Dunkling, Leslie. Dictionary of Surnames. Toronto: Collins, 1998. Print. (ISBN 0004720598).
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
The Polkinghorne Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Polkinghorne Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 19 September 2014 at 17:09.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is