100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2013
Where did the German Petersen family come from? What is the German Petersen family crest and coat of arms? When did the Petersen family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Petersen family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Peter, Petter, Peeter, Peetter, Peater, Peatter, Peters, Petersen, Peer, Peers and many more.
First found in the Palatinate, where the name emerged in mediaeval times as one of the notable families of the region. From the 13th century the surname was identified with the great social and economic evolution which made this territory a landmark contributor to the development of the nation.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Petersen research. Another 349 words(25 lines of text) covering the years 1790, 1747, 1784, 1615, 1676, 1624, 1677, 1779, 1827, 1819, 1864, 1856 and 1918 are included under the topic Early Petersen History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 205 words(15 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Petersen Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Petersen Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Henrich Petersen, who landed in New Netherland(s) in 1640
- Else Petersen, who arrived in New Netherland(s) in 1650
- Griet je Jans Petersen, who landed in New Netherland(s) in 1652
- Christian Petersen, who landed in New Netherland(s) in 1657
- Paul Petersen, who arrived in New Netherland(s) in 1658
Petersen Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Hans Petersen, aged 28, arrived in North Carolina in 1754
- Paridon Petersen, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1770
Petersen Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Friedrich Petersen, who arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1806
- Alexander Petersen, aged 36, arrived in Missouri in 1849
- Carolina Petersen, who landed in New York, NY in 1850
- Dorothea Petersen, who landed in New York, NY in 1850
- August Petersen, who arrived in America in 1866
Petersen Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- Karl Lauritz Petersen, who landed in New York, NY in 1901
- Charles Petersen, who arrived in New York, NY in 1901
- George Petersen, who arrived in Mississippi in 1902
- Niels C Petersen, who arrived in Mobile, Ala in 1904
- Oskar Writh Petersen, who landed in Wisconsin in 1920
- Specialist Four Danny John Petersen (1949-1970), United States Army soldier and a recipient of the Medal of Honor for his actions in the Vietnam War
- Vice Admiral Forrest S. Petersen (1922-1990), American highly decorated aviator
- Lieutenant General Frank E. Petersen Jr. (b. 1932), first African-American Marine Corps aviator and the first African-American Marine Corps general
- Wolfgang Petersen (b. 1941), German film director perhaps best known for the 1981 World War II submarine warfare film Das Boot
- Julius Peter Christian Petersen (1839-1910), Danish mathematician
- Thyge Alexander Petersen (1902-1964), Danish light heavyweight professional boxer who competed in the 1920s and won a silver medal in boxing at the 1924 Summer Olympics in Paris
- Bahlow, Hans and Edda Gentry. Translation Dictionary of German Names 2nd Edition. Madison: University of Wisconsin, 2002. Print.
- Oswald, G. Lexicon der Heraldik. Leipzig: 1984. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans. Deutschlands geographische Namenwelt Etymologisches Lexikon der Fluss- und Ortsnamen alteuropaischer Herkunft. Frankfurt: Suhrkamp, 1985. Print.
- Jones, Henry Z. Palatine Families of New York 2 Volumes. Rockland, ME: Picton Press, 2001. Print. (ISBN 978-0961388829).
- Gritzner, M. Handbuch der heraldischen Terminologie in zwölf Zungen. Nürnberg: 1890. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Jones, George F. The Germans of Colonial Georgia 1733-1783 Revised edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0806311614).
- Götze, Alfred. Familiennamen im badischen Oberland. Heidelberg: C. Winter, 1918. Print.
- Tarneller, Josef. Zur Namenkunde Tirolen Familiennamen. Bozen: Buchhandlung, 1923. Print.
The Petersen Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Petersen Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 20 December 2012 at 02:15.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!