BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the Irish McMenamin family come from? What is the Irish McMenamin family crest and coat of arms? When did the McMenamin family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the McMenamin family history?The McMenamin surname is an Anglicized form of the Gaelic "Mac Meanman," a patronymic surname, created from the personal (first) name Meanma, which means "spirited."
Spelling variations of this family name include: McNemanin, McManamon, McMenamy, McManaway, McManamin, McManamy, McMenamen, McMenemen, McMenimin and many more.
First found in Tirconnell (Irish: Tír Chonaill) present day Donegal, located in Northwestn Ireland in the province of Ulster, where they held a family seat as Chiefs in that territory. Irish history, after the Norman Conquest of England, was strongly influenced by the invasion of Strongbow in 1172. Many Irish clanns, sept names were intermixed and family groupings became almost indistinguishable. This family name was found later in Mayo and in Donegal at Letterkenny and Ballybofey. Still later they branched to Tyrone at Omagh Union.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our McMenamin research. Another 214 words(15 lines of text) are included under the topic Early McMenamin History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early McMenamin Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
McMenamin Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- James McMenamin, who settled in Philadelphia in 1838
- Daniel McMenamin, who arrived in Philadelphia in 1850
- David McMenamin, who came to Philadelphia in 1853
- Bridget McMenamin, who came to Philadelphia in 1861
- Hannah McMenamin, aged 20, landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1864
- Mark A. S. McMenamin, American professor of geology at Mount Holyoke College, South Hadley, Massachusetts
- Brian McMenamin (b. 1957), American businessperson and philanthropist, co-founder of the McMenamins restaurant and brewpub chain in 1983
- Brigadier General Joseph J. McMenamin, American general officer in the United States Marine Corps
- Ciarán McMenamin (b. 1975), Irish actor, best known for playing Matt Anderson on the science fiction series Primeval
- Colin McMenamin (b. 1981), Scottish professional footballer
- Chris McMenamin (b. 1989), Scottish footballer
- Ryan "Ricey" McMenamin, Canadian-born, Irish Gaelic footballer
- James Hugh McMenamin (1910-2000), Australian cricket umpire from Paddington, New South Wales
- Professor Paul Gerard McMenamin (b. 1956), Australian academic and researcher
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Land Owners in Ireland. Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1203-3).
- Donovan, George Francis. The Pre-Revolutionary Irish in Massachusetts 1620-1775. Menasha, WI: Geroge Banta Publsihing Co., 1932. Print.
- O'Hart, John. Irish Pedigress 5th Edition in 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0737-4).
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Leyburn, James Graham. The Scotch-Irish A Social History. Chapel Hill: UNC Press, 1962. Print. (ISBN 0807842591).
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1992. Print.
The McMenamin Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The McMenamin Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 11 July 2014 at 08:12.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is