100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2013
Origins Available: English, Scottish
Where did the English Lovell family come from? What is the English Lovell family crest and coat of arms? When did the Lovell family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Lovell family history?The Lovell surname is derived from the Norman French word "lou," meaning "wolf," with the diminutive suffix "el."
Spelling variations of this family name include: Lovell, Lowell, Lovel, Leavell, Lowles and others.
First found in Somerset, where they held a family seat from the time of the Norman Conquest. It is said that a Ralph Lovel, second son of William De Perceval, Earl of Yvery, Normandy assumed the name, and was the first to use it. His ancestor, Sir Richard Lovel was summoned to Parliament from 1348-1350.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Lovell research. Another 344 words(25 lines of text) covering the years 1454, 1483, and 1487 are included under the topic Early Lovell History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 49 words(4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Lovell Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Lovell family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 66 words(5 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Lovell Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Phillipp Lovell, aged 34, landed in Barbados in 1635
- Robert Lovell, who arrived in New England in 1635
- Robt Lovell, who arrived in Virginia in 1635
- Winifred Lovell, who landed in Virginia in 1637
- Elizabeth Lovell, who landed in Maryland in 1650-1663
Lovell Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- James Lovell, who landed in Antigua (Antego) in 1756
Lovell Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- William Lovell, who landed in America in 1801-1802
- W A Lovell, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851
- M Lovell, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1855
- James Arthur "Jim" Lovell Jr. (b. 1928), former NASA astronaut, most famous as the commander of Apollo 13, the mission that suffered an explosion enroute to the Moon but safely returned
- Dr. Joseph Lovell (1788-1836), 8th Surgeon General of the United States Army
- Sir Alfred Charles Bernard Lovell OBE, FRS (b. 1913), English physicist and radio astronomer, first Director of Jodrell Bank Observatory
- Mark Lovell (1960-2003), British rally driver who won the 1986 British Rally Championship
- The Genealogy of the James W. Lovell Family by Marshall Wilson Lovell.
- The Lovewell (also Lovell) Family by Gloria G. Lovewell.
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Ingram, Rev. James. Translator Anglo-Saxon Chronicle 1823. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Humble, Richard. The Fall of Saxon England. New York: Barnes and Noble, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-88029-987-8).
- Library of Congress. American and English Genealogies in the Library of Congress. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1967. Print.
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1790. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Hitching, F.K and S. Hitching. References to English Surnames in 1601-1602. Walton On Thames: 1910. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0181-3).
The Lovell Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Lovell Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 12 April 2013 at 17:10.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!