100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2013
Where did the Scottish Lennox family come from? What is the Scottish Lennox family crest and coat of arms? When did the Lennox family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Lennox family history?Today's generation of the Lennox family inherits a name that was first used by the Scottish tribe known as the Picts. The first family to use the name Lennox lived in the district of Lennox, in the county of Dunbarton.
Repeated and inaccurate translation of Scottish names from Gaelic to English and back resulted in a wide variety of spelling variations with single names. Lennox has appeared Lennox, Lenox, Levenax and others.
First found in Dumbartonshire, where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Lennox research. Another 163 words(12 lines of text) covering the years 1400 and 1500 are included under the topic Early Lennox History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Lennox Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Lennox family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 136 words(10 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Many Scottish families suffered enormous hardships and were compelled to leave their country of birth. They traveled to Ireland and Australia, but mostly to the colonies of North America, where many found the freedom and opportunity they sought. It was not without a fight, though, as many were forced to stand up and defend their freedom in the American War of Independence. The ancestors of these Scots abroad have rediscovered their heritage in the last century through the Clan societies and other organizations that have sprung up across North America. Immigration and passenger ship lists show some important early immigrants bearing the name Lennox:
Lennox Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Robert Lennox, who landed in New York in 1783
- Patrick Lennox, who arrived in New England in 1785
- David Lennox, who arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1799
Lennox Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Ann Lennox, who landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1812
- Alexander, Andrew, Charles, David, John, Patrick, Robert, Thomas and William Lennox all arrived in Philadelphia between 1840 and 1860
- Andrew Lennox, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1875
- Christina Lennox, aged 33, who landed in America from Liverpool, in 1897
Lennox Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- David Lennox, aged 35, who settled in America from Dumbarton, in 1900
- Algernon Gordon Lennox, aged 56, who landed in America from Banbary, in 1903
- Eddie Lennox, aged 19, who landed in America from Balleymajgger, in 1904
- Alesie Lennox, aged 24, who landed in America from London, in 1905
- Elizabeth Lennox, aged 16, who landed in America from Derry, Ireland, in 1908
- Betty Lennox (b. 1976), American professional basketball player
- David Lennox (1855-1947), American inventor and businessman
- Robert Lennox, Scottish Provost of Aberdeen
- Annie Lennox OBE (b. 1954), Scottish pop musician, cofounder of the Eurythmics
- David Lennox (1788-1873), Scottish-Australian bridge-builder and master stonemason
- Robert "Bobby" Lennox MBE (b. 1943), former Scottish professional footballer
- Martine, Roddy, Roderick Martine and Don Pottinger. Scottish Clan and Family Names Their Arms, Origins and Tartans. Edinburgh: Mainstream, 1992. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Barrow, G.W.S Ed. Acts of Malcom IV 1153-65 Volume I Regesta Regum Scottorum 1153-1424. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, 1960. Print.
- Moody David. Scottish Family History. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1994. Print. (ISBN 0806312688).
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
- Catholic Directory For Scotland. Glasgow: Burns Publications. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
The Lennox Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Lennox Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 7 November 2011 at 08:05.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!