100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the Scottish Kilgour family come from? What is the Scottish Kilgour family crest and coat of arms? When did the Kilgour family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Kilgour family history?The Kilgour family name was first used by descendants of the Pictish people of ancient Scotland. It is a name for someone who lived in Kilgour, which is located near Falkland in the county of Fife. The surname Kilgour belongs to the category of habitation names, which are derived from pre-existing names for towns, villages, parishes, or farmsteads.
Scribes in the Middle Ages did not have access to a set of spelling rules. They spelled according to sound, the result was a great number of spelling variations. In various documents, Kilgour has been spelled Kilgour, Kilgore and others.
First found in Fife, where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Kilgour research. Another 127 words(9 lines of text) covering the years 1600 and 1644 are included under the topic Early Kilgour History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Kilgour Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
The cruelties suffered under the new government forced many to leave their ancient homeland for the freedom of the North American colonies. Those who arrived safely found land, freedom, and opportunity for the taking. These hardy settlers gave their strength and perseverance to the young nations that would become the United States and Canada. Immigration and passenger lists have shown many early immigrants bearing the name Kilgour:
Kilgour Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Joseph and Martha Kilgour settled with their four children settled in Barstable Massachusetts in 1822
- Robert Kilgour, who arrived in New York, NY in 1833
- George Kilgour arrived in San Francisco in 1850
- Fred Kilgour (1914-2006), American librarian and educator, founding director of the 'Online Computer Library Center'
- Frederick Gridley Kilgour (1914-2006), American librarian and educator, founder known founding director of OCLC (Online Computer Library Center)
- Robert Kilgour (1714-1790), 39th bishop of the Diocese of Aberdeen of the Scottish Episcopal Church (1778 to 1788)
- Robert "Rab" Kilgour (b. 1956), Scottish former footballer
- Donald "Don" Kilgour (b. 1946), former Australian politician
- Joseph Kilgour (1863-1933), Canadian silent film actor
- Lennox Kilgour (b. 1928), former weightlifter and Olympic medalist from Trinidad and Tobago
- David Kilgour PC (b. 1941), former Canadian politician
- Darris Kilgour, head coach and general manager of the Buffalo Bandits of the National Lacrosse League, inducted into the National Lacrosse League Hall of Fame (2007)
- David Kilgour, New Zealand musician from Dunedin
- Moncrieffe, Sir Ian of That Ilk and Don Pottinger. Clan Map Scotland of Old. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1983. Print.
- Fulton, Alexander. Scotland and Her Tartans: The Romantic Heritage of the Scottish Clans and Families. Godalming: Bramley, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-86283-880-0).
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Dorward, David. Scottish Surnames. Glasgow: Harper Collins, 1995. Print.
- Barrow, G.W.S Ed. Acts of Malcom IV 1153-65 Volume I Regesta Regum Scottorum 1153-1424. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, 1960. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
- Bloxham, Ben. Key to Parochial Registers of Scotland From Earliest Times Through 1854 2nd edition. Provo, UT: Stevenson's Genealogical Center, 1979. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
The Kilgour Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Kilgour Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 18 May 2014 at 12:32.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!