BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the Spanish Gutiérrez family come from? What is the Spanish Gutiérrez family crest and coat of arms? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Gutiérrez family history?The prestigious surname Gutiérrez originated in Spain, a country which has figured prominently in world affairs for hundreds of years. The earliest forms of hereditary surnames in Spain were the patronymic surnames, which are derived from the father's given name, and metronymic surnames, which are derived from the mother's given name. Spanish patronymic names emerged as early as the mid-9th century and the most common patronymic suffix is "ez." The patronyms were derived from a variety of given names that were of many different origins. Some names are derived from the saints of the Christian Church, but many Spanish surnames are derived from personal names of Germanic origin. The Visigoths, who ruled Spain between the mid-5th and early 8th centuries had a profound impact on the development of surnames. This name originally derived from the baptismal name Gutierre.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Gutiérrez, Gutierrez, Guter, Butre, Gutier, Wittier, Gutierre, Guterre, Guterres, Gut, Goter, Gauter, Gualter, Galter, Gulter, Baltar, Gutérriz, Guterriz, Gotérriz, Goterriz, Guteres, Gútrez, Gutrez, Gutérrez, Guterrez, Baltériz, Balteriz, Baldériz and many more.
First found in Castile, where the name originated in Visigothic times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Gutiérrez research. Another 413 words(30 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Gutiérrez History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 30 words(2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Gutiérrez Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
- Elvira Gutiérrez, who married the conquistador Juan Montalvo and was one of the first European women to settle in Bogota
- Felipe Gutiérrez, who accompanied Pizarro to Peru
- Francisco Gutiérrez de Murcia, who participated in the conquest of New Granada in the 1530s
- Bartolomé Gutiérrez, who emigrated to Peru in 1560
- Juan Gutiérrez, traveled to New Spain in 1561 with his wife Ana and sons Antonio and Jerónimo
Gutiérrez Settlers in the 19th Century
- Angel Gutierrez, who arrived in Puerto Rico in 1802
- Cayetano Gutierrez, who landed in Puerto Rico in 1803
- Miguel Gutierrez, who landed in Puerto Rico in 1803
- Milian Gutierrez, who arrived in America in 1809
- Pedro Gutierrez, who landed in America in 1811
- Franklin Gutiérrez (b. 1983), American Major League Baseball center fielder
- Alberto Diaz Gutiérrez (1928-2001), Cuban photographer, remembered for his famous image of Argentine Marxist revolutionary Che Guevara
- Armando Gutierrez (b. 1949), Cuban-American banker, political consultant and entrepreneur
- Gustavo Gutiérrez (b. 1928), Peruvian theologian, known as the father of liberation theology
- Carlos Miguel Gutierrez (b. 1953), American former CEO and former U.S. Cabinet Member
- Judith Gutiérrez (1927-2003), master Latin American painter
- Luís Vicente Gutiérrez (b. 1953), American politician, member of the United States House of Representatives (1993-)
- Matthew Paul Gutierrez (b. 1984), American football quarterback
- César D Gutiérrez (1943-2005), Venezuelan professional baseball player
- Esteban Gutiérrez (b. 1991), Mexican race car driver
- de Cadenas, Vicente Y Viicent. Heraldic Patronimica Española Y Sus Patronimicos Compuestos. Madrid: Hidalguía, 1976. Print.
- Annuaire Général Héraldique Universel. Paris: Institut Héraldique, 1901. Print.
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Armorial Général by J.B. Rietstap. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. 1967. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-209).
- García Carraffa, Alberto and Arturo. Diccionario Heráldico y Genealógico de Apellidos Españoles y Americanos 88 Volumes. Madrid: A. Marzo. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Illustrations to the Armorial general by J. B. Rietstap 6 volumes in 3. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1976. Print.
- Atienza, Julio De Atienza. Español: Diccionario Heraldico De Apellidos Españoles Y De Titulos Nobiliarios. Madrid: Aguilar, 1959. Print.
- Carr, Raymond. Spain, 1808-1975. 2nd Ed. . Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1982. Print. (ISBN 978-0198221272).
- Rietstap, Johannes Baptist. Armorial Général. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Domínguez, C. Hispano de Apellidos y Blasones. 4 Vols. 2001. Print.
The Gutiérrez Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Gutiérrez Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 29 March 2014 at 15:30.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is