BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the Irish Faughnan family come from? What is the Irish Faughnan family crest and coat of arms? When did the Faughnan family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Faughnan family history?The surname Faughnan comes from the Irish Gaelic name O Fachtnain.The name indicates the son of Fachtna, an ancient forename much in favor with the O'Kellys of Ui Maine, with whom it was modernized as Festus.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Faughnan, O'Faughnan, Faughey, O'Faghny and others.
First found in Counties Longford and Leitrim (Irish: Liatroim) anciently the western half of the kingdom of Breifne, located in Northeastern Ireland, in Leinster province.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Faughnan research. Another 71 words(5 lines of text) covering the years 158 and 1588 are included under the topic Early Faughnan History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 23 words(2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Faughnan Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Faughnan Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Miles Faughnan was naturalized in New York in 1847
- Francis and Ann Faughnan immigrated to New York in 1849
- Mary Faughnan arrived in New York in 1851
- Michael Faughnan landed in New York in 1851
- John Faughnan immigrated to New York from Leitrim in 1859
- George Faughnan, American actor
- Kathryn Faughnan, American television actress
- Victor R Faughnan, American shark expert and author
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- Bullock, L.G. Historical Map of Ireland. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1969. Print.
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Grehan, Ida. Dictionary of Irish Family Names. Boulder: Roberts Rinehart, 1997. Print. (ISBN 1-57098-137-X).
- Woulfe, Rev. Patrick. Irish Names and Surnames Collected and Edited with Explanatory and Historical Notes. Kansas City: Genealogical Foundation, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-940134-403).
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Heraldic Scroll and Map of Family names and Origins of Ireland. Dublin: Mullins. Print.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
The Faughnan Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Faughnan Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 21 October 2013 at 15:53.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is