100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the English Etheridge family come from? What is the English Etheridge family crest and coat of arms? When did the Etheridge family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Etheridge family history?The name Etheridge was spawned by the ancient Anglo-Saxon culture that ruled a majority of Britain. It comes from the name Aldrich. The surname Etheridge originally derived from the Old English word aeoelric, which later became the name Aldrich.
Etheridge has been spelled many different ways, including Before English spelling became standardized over the last few hundred years, spelling variations in names were a common occurrence. As the English language changed in the Middle Ages, absorbing pieces of Latin and French, as well as other languages, the spelling of people's names also changed considerably, even over a single lifetime. Etheridge, Etheredge, Etherege, Etherige, Ettridge, Etridge, Attridge and many more.
First found in Berkshire, where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Etheridge research. Another 131 words(9 lines of text) covering the years 1086, 1636, 1692, 1664, 1668 and 1676 are included under the topic Early Etheridge History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 89 words(6 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Etheridge Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
In an attempt to escape the chaos experienced in England, many English families boarded overcrowded and diseased ships sailing for the shores of North America and other British colonies. Those families hardy enough, and lucky enough, to make the passage intact were rewarded with land and a social environment less prone to religious and political persecution. Many of these families became important contributors to the young colonies in which they settled. Early immigration and passenger lists have documented some of the first Etheridges to arrive on North American shores:
Etheridge Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Hen Etheridge, who landed in Virginia in 1654
- Henry Etheridge who settled in Virginia in 1654
Etheridge Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Thomas Etheridge settled in Maryland in 1722
- Sarah Etheridge who settled in New England in 1773
Etheridge Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Henry E Etheridge, aged 37, who emigrated to the United States from Reading, in 1892
Etheridge Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- Henry Horatio Etheridge, aged 52, who landed in America from London, in 1906
- Alice Etheridge, aged 26, who settled in America from Hampshire, in 1906
- Evelyn Etheridge, aged 3, who emigrated to the United States, in 1909
- Hannah Etheridge, aged 48, who landed in America, in 1909
- Fred Etheridge, aged 26, who emigrated to the United States from London, England, in 1910
- Melissa Lou Etheridge (b. 1961), American Academy Award-winning and two-time Grammy Award-winning American rock singer-songwriter and musician
- Bobby Ray "Bob" Etheridge (b. 1941), American politician, former U.S. Representative for North Carolina
- Lorinda Anna "Annie" Blair Etheridge (1839-1913), Union nurse and vivandière who served during the American Civil War
- Bobby Lamar Etheridge (b. 1942), former American professional baseball third baseman
- Bobby Etheridge (1934-1988), English footballer
- Neil Leonard Dula Etheridge (b. 1990), English-Filipino professional footballer
- Robert Etheridge (1819-1903), English geologist and palaeontologist
- Charles Etheridge (1870-1948), English cricketer
- Brian George Etheridge (b. 1944), retired English football player and manager
- John Michael Glyn Etheridge (b. 1948), British jazz /fusion guitarist
- Ten Generations of the Etheredge-Etheridge-Ethridge Family in America by Fae Alice Etheredge.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Bardsley, C.W. A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6).
- Ingram, Rev. James. Translator Anglo-Saxon Chronicle 1823. Print.
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds. Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Markale, J. Celtic Civilization. London: Gordon & Cremonesi, 1976. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Bullock, L.G. Historical Map of England and Wales. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1971. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
The Etheridge Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Etheridge Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 25 February 2014 at 09:56.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!