100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2013
Where did the English Emerson family come from? What is the English Emerson family crest and coat of arms? When did the Emerson family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Emerson family history?
The name Emerson, appeared in many references, and from time to time, the surname was spelt Emerson, Emmerson, Emerston and others.
First found in Durham where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Emerson research. Another 213 words(15 lines of text) covering the years 1086 and 1100 are included under the topic Early Emerson History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Emerson Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Emerson family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 238 words(17 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
The New World beckoned as many of the settlers in Ireland, known as the Scotch/Irish, became disenchanted. They sailed aboard the armada of sailing ships known as the "White Sails" which plied the stormy Atlantic. Some called them, less romantically, the "coffin ships." Amongst the early settlers who could be considered kinsmen of the Emerson family, or who bore a variation of the surname Emerson were
Emerson Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- William Emerson settled in Virginia in 1618
- Ellis Emerson, his wife Anne, and son Thomas settled in Virginia in 1623 from Durham
- Ellis Emerson, who arrived in Virginia in 1623
- Jo Emerson, aged 20, landed in America in 1635
- Thomas Emerson, who arrived in Ipswich, Massachusetts in 1639
Emerson Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Henry Emerson, who landed in Virginia in 1703
- Susanna Emerson, who arrived in Virginia in 1714
- Tho Emerson, who landed in Virginia in 1717
- Arthur Emerson, who landed in Antigua (Antego) in 1735-1736
Emerson Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Mrs. Emerson, who landed in New York, NY in 1811
- Jonas Emerson, who landed in Charleston, South Carolina in 1812
- J Emerson, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1850
- S A Emerson, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1850
- S Emerson, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851
- Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882), American poet, essayist, and philosopher, he was called "the sage of Concord" in his home town in Massachusetts, and became the chief spokesman for Transcendentalism
- Billy "The Kid" Emerson (b. 1929), African-American R&B and rock and roll singer and songwriter
- Jonathan Emerson (1874-1956), American screen actor
- Claudia Emerson (b. 1957), American poet awarded the 2006 Pulitzer Prize for Poetry
- George Barrell Emerson (1797-1881), American Educator and pioneer of women's education rights
- Hope Emerson (1897-1960), American film actress
- Michael Emerson (b. 1954), American stage and screen actor
- Hunt Emerson (b. 1952), English cartoonist and graphic novelist
- Gary Emerson (b. 1963), English golfer and winner of the 2004 Russian Open
- Roy Stanley Emerson (b. 1936), Australian former tennis player who won 12 Grand Slam singles titles and 16 Grand Slam men's doubles titles
- Englis Roots of the Haverhill and Ipswich Emerson by Ralph Stanton Emerson.
- A Genealogy of the Emerson Family of Vallejo, California: A Branch of the Haverhill Emersons of Massachusetts and New Hampshire by Robley Emerson Passalacqua.
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Bardsley, C.W. A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6).
- Marcharn, Frederick George. A Constitutional History of Modern England 1485 to the Present. London: Harper and Brothers, 1960. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1790. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Mills, A.D. Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4).
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
The Emerson Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Emerson Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 30 January 2013 at 12:22.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!