BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the English Ellison family come from? What is the English Ellison family crest and coat of arms? When did the Ellison family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Ellison family history?
The name Ellison, appeared in many references, and from time to time, the surname was spelt Ellison, Ellerson, Elleson, Elyson, Elison and many more.
First found in Durham where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Ellison research. Another 285 words(20 lines of text) covering the years 1170, 1296, 1590, 1614, 1678, 1647, 1660, 1646, 1615 and 1671 are included under the topic Early Ellison History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 93 words(7 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Ellison Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Ellison family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 105 words(8 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
The New World beckoned as many of the settlers in Ireland, known as the Scotch/Irish, became disenchanted. They sailed aboard the armada of sailing ships known as the "White Sails" which plied the stormy Atlantic. Some called them, less romantically, the "coffin ships." Amongst the early settlers who could be considered kinsmen of the Ellison family, or who bore a variation of the surname Ellison were
Ellison Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- John and Ellin Ellison, who arrived in Virginia in 1623
- George Ellison who settled in Virginia in 1624
- Ellin Ellison, who arrived in Virginia in 1624-1625
- William Ellison, who landed in Virginia in 1624
- Jonath Ellison, who landed in Virginia in 1635
Ellison Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Charles Ellison, who arrived in Virginia in 1701-1702
- Joseph Ellison, who arrived in Long Island in 1720
- A Ellison, who arrived in New England in 1771
- Abraham Ellison, who landed in New England in 1772
- Abraham Ellison, who arrived in New England in 1772
Ellison Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Tylee Ellison, who arrived in Charleston, South Carolina in 1824
- Christopher Ellison, who landed in New York in 1832
- B Ellison, aged 40, arrived in Key West, Fla in 1840
- Henry, Andrew, George, James, John, Martha Ellison all arrived in Philadelphia between 1800 and 1850
- C Ellison, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1855
- Ralph Waldo Ellison (1914-1994), American writer, best known for the "Invisible Man" and recipient of the Presidential Medal of Freedom
- James Ellison (1910-1993), American actor
- Keith Maurice Ellison (b. 1963), American lawyer and politician
- Harlan Ellison (b. 1934), American writer of speculative fiction with more awards for imaginative literature than any other living author
- Brady Ellison (b. 1988), American Olympic archer
- William Henry Ellison (b. 1945), former American NFL football running back
- Lawrence Joseph "Larry" Ellison (b. 1944), American business magnate, co-founder and chief executive officer of Oracle Corporation
- Eileen Ellison (1910-1967), English Grand Prix racer
- Jennifer Ellison (b. 1983), English actress, glamour model, television personality, dancer and singer
- Reverend Frederick William Archdall Ellison (1864-1936), Irish clergyman, Hebrew scholar, organist, and amateur telescope maker
- Black Masters: A Free Family of Color in the Old South by Michael P. Johnson.
- Arthur Ellison of Adams County, Ohio and Some of His Descendants and Relatives by Floyd Vernon Ellison.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Cook, Chris. English Historical Facts 1603-1688. London: MacMillan, 1980. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- Dunkling, Leslie. Dictionary of Surnames. Toronto: Collins, 1998. Print. (ISBN 0004720598).
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
The Ellison Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Ellison Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 8 January 2014 at 21:54.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is