100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the Spanish Elizondo family come from? What is the Spanish Elizondo family crest and coat of arms? When did the Elizondo family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Elizondo family history?The mountainous borders of Spain contain the origins of the prestigious surname Elizondo. The Spanish surname Elizondo is derived from the place name where the initial bearer lived or held land. In this case, "eleiza" is the Basque term for "church," and the suffix "-ondo" means near or beside. Thus, the surname Elizondo was derived from ancient Basque as the term for someone living near a church.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Elizonda, Eleizondo, Elizalde, Eliza and others.
First found in the Navarre- Basque region, one of the medieval Christian kingdoms of northern Spain. Early records show a presence of the Elizondo family in Pamplona, Navarre.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Elizondo research. Another 365 words(26 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Elizondo History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 26 words(2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Elizondo Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Elizondo Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Jose Elizondo, who landed in Puerto Rico in 1839
- Manuel Elizondo, who arrived in Puerto Rico in 1846
- Faustino Elizondo, who arrived in Puerto Rico in 1848
Elizondo Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- Joaquin Elizondo, aged 22, who emigrated to the United States from Leranoz, Spain, in 1913
- Casto Elizondo, aged 24, who landed in America from Izaba, Spain, in 1913
- David Elizondo, aged 18, who landed in America from Mexico, Mexico, in 1913
- Crus Elizondo, aged 19, who settled in America from Navarra, Spain, in 1916
- Elio Elizondo, aged 23, who emigrated to the United States from Matanzas, Cuba, in 1917
- Héctor Elizondo (b. 1936), American actor
- Michael "Mike" Elizondo, well-known American songwriter, bassist, keyboardist, and hip hop music producer
- René Elizondo Jr. (b. 1962), American dancer, songwriter, and music video director
- Virgilio Elizondo, Mexican American, Roman Catholic priest
- Domingo Elizondo (d. 1783), Spanish soldier of Basque origin
- Gustavo Elizondo (d. 1922), Mexican revolutionary
- Horacio Marcelo Elizondo (b. 1963), former Argentinian international football referee
- César Elizondo (b. 1988), Costa Rican footballer
- Salvador Elizondo (1932-2006), Mexican writer
- Rodolfo Elizondo (b. 1946), Mexican politician
- de Cadenas, Vicente Y Viicent. Caballeros de La Orden de Santiago Siglo XVIII. Madrid: Hidalguía, 1996. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Chronological list of passengers to Spanish America (including Florida and Louisiana, 1538-1559). From documents in the "Indian Archives". Sevilla. Print.
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Armorial Général by J.B. Rietstap. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. 1967. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-209).
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Rietstap, Johannes Baptist. Armorial Général. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- de Cadenas, Vicente Y Viicent. Heraldic Patronimica Española Y Sus Patronimicos Compuestos. Madrid: Hidalguía, 1976. Print.
- Carr, Raymond. Spain, 1808-1975. 2nd Ed. . Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1982. Print. (ISBN 978-0198221272).
- Domínguez, C. Hispano de Apellidos y Blasones. 4 Vols. 2001. Print.
- Atienza, Julio De Atienza. Español: Diccionario Heraldico De Apellidos Españoles Y De Titulos Nobiliarios. Madrid: Aguilar, 1959. Print.
The Elizondo Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Elizondo Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 21 January 2014 at 08:37.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!